e-bike anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

No, I don't intend to use an e-bike any time soon.

BUT my 60 year old mum is retiring at the end of the year and said she wants to get an e-bike so I thought I'd just buy one for her.

Anyhoo, I know nothing about e-bikes, so as I start doing some research, what should I look for? What specs should I focus on? What are good brands and what are bad brands?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

BUT my 60 year old mum is retiring at the end of the year and said she wants to get an e-bike so I thought I'd just buy one for her.

Anyhoo, I know nothing about e-bikes, so as I start doing some research, what should I look for? What specs should I focus on? What are good brands and what are bad brands?
It may be worth a visit to the Electric bike section on the forum.----
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/electric-bikes.159/

gbb

Legendary Member
I think the motor type mounted on the bike will dictate whether its a good bike or not ...and even thats hard to qualify.
1st things first, what kind of bike does your mum like ?, hybrid, sit up and beg shopper style, dare I say roadbike ?
2nd, what are you prepared to spend ?. My wifes Raleigh Motus 7 speed was £1600, pretty expensive but not massive in the scheme of things.she loves it, Bosch motor so good quality with a good battery and should last well. Very smooth ride.
3rd, is it hilly there. If it is, a good motor torque rating may be important.
That said, I know someone who brought an internet site bike, front wheel motor, mediocre battery, shopper style for less than £800. It does the job, she doesnt go far on it and its flat rounď here. It wont last as ,long as my wifes, its not as good, but that doesnt make it bad.....just not as good.

Onlynutsnbolts

The good lady (63) had Raleigh modus step through in the new year...well impressed!
Tidy machine, ended getting the mans version for myself ..just to keep up!

Gwylan

Veteran

As a long term cyclists I've recently gone over to the dark side. 75 and bits don't work the way they used to. That's my defences.

Also, my wife bought me one as a surprise it was a real shock and I didn't really hand,e it well. But after 40 years we got through it.
The bike is a 500 watt hour sold through Go Outdoors.

After my 18 months and 2,5 k km there are some things I know.

It weighs a ton and the tyres it came with were rubbish.
The battery range is about 70km
The motor is in the rear wheel and the battery on the down tube.

The weight of the motor makes the bike a bit of a handful in the wet. Also difficult just to manoeuvre.

I would choose a bike with the motor elsewhere.
Have to take the battery off to lift it onto the bike rack.

Given the modest distance and the age of the rider I'd go for the lightest 2nd bike I could afford.

Got to be less than the 2k being asked for unknown brands of e bikes.

Top Bottom