E bike on road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vernon7026

Regular
Hello all

I am looking into getting an E bike for commuting and social riding ! I was looking at the cannondale
Road bike synapse neo 2.

I am 18st and 6ft ,
Would this be a problem ! I was looking at a lappiere with carbon frame , but too scared to go that route . So alloy frame maybe better .

like I say this is a lot of money , so need to get this right ,

thanks for any advise

Attachments

• 53F418E0-853C-436C-B0F3-ABC72967E7CA.png
    53F418E0-853C-436C-B0F3-ABC72967E7CA.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 12

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks a good choice assuming you want to commute on a roadie bike.

It's got the Bosch Active Line Plus motor which should offer enough assistance to drag your 18st down the road.

Neither is your weight anywhere enough to cause problems with frame.

Bear in mind the latest Bosch motors have software to defeat speed de-restriction dongles, so you may be stuck with the 15.5mph limit.

The good news is the motor has no resistance, so you could probably push the bike a few mph above the limit in favourable conditions.

NickWi

Guru
Weight & height wise you're broadly similar to me and I've been using an Orbra Gain D20 (Alloy 1x11) for the last two year without any problems, but do remember bikes like my Gain and the Cannondale you're looking at are power assisted rather than powered. If I could change on thing on my Gain, it'd be the torque it makes, at only 40nm it isn't as much as some and steep hills are still a struggle.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Weight & height wise you're broadly similar to me and I've been using an Orbra Gain D20 (Alloy 1x11) for the last two year without any problems, but do remember bikes like my Gain and the Cannondale you're looking at are power assisted rather than powered. If I could change on thing on my Gain, it'd be the torque it makes, at only 40nm it isn't as much as some and steep hills are still a struggle.

With respect NickWi it is your buying decision that is at fault
“ at only 40nm it isn’t as much as some and steep hills are a struggle “
Orbea are pretty clear on their target market for the Gain, " Gain was designed to enhance your ride, not dominate it "

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
This is the glory of this forum, a wealth of knowledge. When i brought my ebike, the torque didnt even register with me, i hadn't thought about it in detail.
We all kinda know cheap motors would be inferior and that drove my purchase choice (not to buy too cheap) . Mine is a 50Nm motor and as it happens is more than enough for what i do but that was just luck really, not my informed choice. I suspect many people buy as i did, not thinking specifically about the motors potential to actually deliver what you need.

Scaleyback

Veteran
This is the glory of this forum, a wealth of knowledge. When i brought my ebike, the torque didnt even register with me, i hadn't thought about it in detail.
We all kinda know cheap motors would be inferior and that drove my purchase choice (not to buy too cheap) . Mine is a 50Nm motor and as it happens is more than enough for what i do but that was just luck really, not my informed choice. I suspect many people buy as i did, not thinking specifically about the motors potential to actually deliver what you need.

I feel for NickWi if having purchased the Gain if he is disappointed with some aspects of it’s performance. Sadly some buyers (you confess to being one) think an e-bike is an e-bike. However the information is ‘out there’ much of it in this Orbea Gain thread. I know I have warned heavy/unfit people on here that the Gain may not be suitable for them.

Top Bottom