E-bike recommendation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
The wife and I went for a ride a couple of days ago. I was testing my new Alfine hub gearing so selected a hilly-ish route. She absolutely destroyed me on the hills without breaking sweat. We ended up doing 25 miles, of which I was on the rack for the first 10. She has a shopper bike and TSDZ2 crank motor kit with a 750Wh battery pack.

OllyB

Regular
I have a Cannondale Synapse Neo and can so recommend it, the battery seems to last for ages, having said that I don't tend to ride with it on all the time, just really for hills, and then I have usually used the lowest setting, I think the highest setting must be rocket fuelled! The upside is that the bike takes 32c tyres, and I have a rack and mudguards fitted, plus it is excellent to ride without the motor on! I was lucky and managed to bag one on sale from Evans, and it was at the time their lowest spec (tiagra?) but I have had it for six months now and have never regretted it.

Mike Bike

Gents, new to the forum and after advice please. I am in agreement around aesthetics and also want to work a little when out on the bike. Weight is also important as it will go on the back of a VW camper on the rack. (Quite high ). So I feel the Boardman 8.9 E Hybrid is for me. Does that make sense? But??
Is there provision for a side stand? Or what do you do?
Will it be OK on a bike rack in the rain for say 4 days as I travel? (Will the electrics be safe?)
Is the gearing OK when not on battery which I think I will be for long periods?
I have a non e Treck DS3 Hybrid and feel that the forks with lockout are good. Does the Boardman suffer for not having this feature? Will I miss it? I do a lot of gravel type tracks as well as road?
Does the Boardman not have fast release wheels? Issue?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

richtea

I can help with a few:
> Weight is also important as it will go on the back of a VW camper on the rack
Take the battery+motor unit off first, and pop it in the van. That's 3-4 Kg saved.

> Will it be OK on a bike rack in the rain for say 4 days as I travel? (Will the electrics be safe?)
Ah. If you take the battery off and then drive in spray, water will get into the battery compartment. You'll need to dry the compartment out (kitchen roll or similar would do). The majority of the water will drain away, and the connector is on the top edge of the compartment, by design - see pic 1 where I tipped about 100ml into it. I dabbed out the small pool that remained easily. But maybe this isn't the best approach long term.

The alternative is the leave the battery in, which gives less holes for water to get in. The good news is that battery+motor removable unit has a small drain hole to allow any water getting in to exit again:
https://fazua.com/en/magazine/bad-weather-check/?from=inside-fazua

One last angle, probably the smartest one, is to buy a 'dummy' battery cover - it's replaces the battery+motor, and is like an empty shell. About £60-70:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/downtube-cover/

> Does the Boardman not have fast release wheels? Issue?
An allen key is needed for the front spindle only (See pic 2). Not a big issue, since it can go into a small under-saddle tool bag easily. Rear is quick release.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Mike Bike

I can help with a few:
> Weight is also important as it will go on the back of a VW camper on the rack
Take the battery+motor unit off first, and pop it in the van. That's 3-4 Kg saved.

> Will it be OK on a bike rack in the rain for say 4 days as I travel? (Will the electrics be safe?)
Ah. If you take the battery off and then drive in spray, water will get into the battery compartment. You'll need to dry the compartment out (kitchen roll or similar would do). The majority of the water will drain away, and the connector is on the top edge of the compartment, by design - see pic 1 where I tipped about 100ml into it. I dabbed out the small pool that remained easily.

The alternative is the leave the battery in, which gives less holes for water to get in. The good news is that battery+motor removable unit has a small drain hole to allow any water getting in to exit again. You'll want to:
1) make sure the drain hole is clean/open before mounting the bike on the rack (or any time you ride in a downpour too)
2) remove the battery and have a look to see if any water remains inside. If so dry it out with kitchen roll/tissue.
https://fazua.com/en/magazine/bad-weather-check/?from=inside-fazua

One last angle, possibly the smartest one, is to buy a 'dummy' battery cover - it's replaces the battery+motor, and is like an empty shell. About £60-70:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/downtube-cover/

> Does the Boardman not have fast release wheels? Issue?
An allen key is needed, so not a big issue, since that goes into an small under-saddle tool bag easily. See pic 2.
Richtea, many thanks for taking the trouble to help me. Much appreciated and interesting...

Does the Boardman have the key lock for the battery? Nervous I may loose the battery from the back of the VW as I have read where many people have lost it out riding??

Also do you use a kickstand?

Many thanks again.

richtea

> Does the Boardman have the key lock for the battery? Nervous I may loose the battery from the back of the VW as I have read where many people have lost it out riding??

I'd say that's pretty unlikely as long as you do some practice fittings. Over a carpet or grass! Once you've had a few plays it's obvious when the battery is in, it's a very positive click - just squeeze the battery into the frame hard.

The key works well, once you've experimented. It is:
- unlocked = clockwise, until the key is vertical (perpendicular to the ground, not the frame), and press the release button hard WHILST HOLDING ONTO THE BATTERY
- locked = anticlockwise, until the key is vertical again, and remove key

> Also do you use a kickstand?

I don't - trees/walls/grass will do!
I think kickstands normally fit with a plate + bolt just behind the crank between the crank and mudguard bridge.
Here's the bottom of the Boardman crank (pic). There's no mudguard bridge, so I'd say there isn't room for a plate, especially if you want mudguards. You'll probably need this sort of kickstand instead (I've never tried one):
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cube-kickstand-universal/

Attachments

• bb underside.jpg
    bb underside.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I've put it all on the back burner.:sad:

I think I am of an age/fitness where I want one but don't actually need one, it's only the sweaty 20 min climb to work that bothers me, hardly a solid reason to spend £k's on yet another bicycle. Also, the choice sub £2k was quite dispiriting, so many were practically identical and not really what I wanted being fat tyred and with suspension. I think I will age a bit and at the right time sell my motorbike and buy an e-bike at double my orginial budget.:okay:

gzoom

Über Member
Is the gearing OK when not on battery which I think I will be for long periods?

I have a non e Treck DS3 Hybrid and feel that the forks with lockout are good. Does the Boardman suffer for not having this feature? Will I miss it? I do a lot of gravel type tracks as well as road?

Gearing is fine even without battery power for 10% hills, just. 14% and it's a real struggle even with battery, more than that and you will be walking!!

Most of the time on the flat you wouldn't be using the battery anyways, 17mph is easy to maintain on the bike, and the motor cuts out at 15.5mph.

As for suspension I cannot comment, I find the bike very comfy and occasional take it on gravel path. Clearly suspension will make it more comfy, but at 16kg its heavy enough already!!

I've put it all on the back burner.:sad:

I think I am of an age/fitness where I want one but don't actually need one, it's only the sweaty 20 min climb to work that bothers me, hardly a solid reason to spend £k's on yet another bicycle. Also, the choice sub £2k was quite dispiriting, so many were practically identical and not really what I wanted being fat tyred and with suspension. I think I will age a bit and at the right time sell my motorbike and buy an e-bike at double my orginial budget.:okay:
good call I think. Strikes me as a market with a lot of development/maturing to do.
I can see lots being sold in london post lockdown for longer commutes.
And then prices will surely fall/bang per buck increase.

D

Deleted member 26715

Gearing is fine even without battery power for 10% hills, just. 14% and it's a real struggle even with battery, more than that and you will be walking!!
What kind of e-bike are you referring to? Mine will breeze up 20% quite easily
Most of the time on the flat you wouldn't be using the battery anyways, 17mph is easy to maintain on the bike, and the motor cuts out at 15.5mph.
Is it, again what type of bike are you referring to, I for one could not keep a 17mph average up, in fact looking on my Swinney.net my best hour back when I was road biking it's only 16.8mph
Why is that?
I was mooching round a shop recently and it does appear to be the case.
I hate unnecessary suspension.
This will change in time surely as the market expands?
Marketing I suspect.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks - confirms to me that it's an immature market.
Am pretty confident things will improve.
Currently there seems to be 3 branches of e-bikes, Road without suspension, MTB with suspension & Chinese utility bikes with front suspension.

Currently there seems to be 3 branches of e-bikes, Road without suspension, MTB with suspension & Chinese utility bikes with front suspension.
By road i assume you mean full on racing sports bikes?
If so, definitely best i sit (,or rather pedal) it out.

Top Bottom