E mail address help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Got in last night from visiting my neighbour.So i had a little look round the web,looking at my e mails.Well one of my retired mates sent me a message ,but it was not direct from him.It was from a women in America ,sating click this blah blah blah (my mates name)thinks you would be interested.Well i messaged him on FB,He replied this morning saying he had no idea what was going on.So i had not opened it so i deleted it.Now lasat week i got one of those awful spam sextortion emails,threatening to send a video to all my contacts,sad thing is i don't have any en mail contacts.So this is now two shady emails to my proper e mail address with Virgin,i am totally fed up and can i delete my Virgin e mail and start another one,how do i go about it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It will eventually just happen again with a new address!

It only takes one person who knows your email address to get a virus on their machine and suddenly everyone on their contacts gets these messages.

I am still getting emails supposedly from someone who actually died in Africa over 5 years ago!

The best bet is to concentrate on setting up filters to catch these messages. You can eliminate most of them without ever seeing them.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
But if you want to get a new email address it is dead easy to setup a Gmail account with Google. That works with any Internet provider and makes it easier if you ever want to change broadband supplier.

It does mean that you'd have to tell all the people that might want to contact you that you've changed addresses though...

Btw, if you do that, put your own email address as the "to" address and put the whole list of people you want to tell as "bcc" (blind copy) and then it goes to them all without them all seeing each others addresses. Useful as you can include your wife and your mistress without them seeing that they are both on the list 😁

Apologies if that is stating the obvious, but I have been included in some blanket "cc"s in the past where I didn't really think they wanted me to see the addresses of everyone they knew...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apologies if that is stating the obvious, but I have been included in some blanket "cc"s in the past where I didn't really think they wanted me to see the addresses of everyone they knew...
Friends who should know better keep doing that, and it winds me up! I got one such email yesterday, copied to a list. There were people on the list that I would rather remain hidden from...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Ha ha! No, various former friends who I didn't accidentally lose track of... :okay:

So the truth is out now! You didn't accidentally delete my email address. :ohmy:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Decided after sleeping on it.Not to change who is to say that one won't get scammed.Taking the advice and deleting when they arrive.

Top Bottom