E-MTB - Errosion damage ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have any of you MTBers ridden a legal eMTB?

They are no balls of fire, and are handicapped in climbing by extra weight,

The notion they could cause significant extra damage in comparison to an MTB is hard to take.

All the bikes use the same tyres, and once traction is lost, well, a spinning back wheel is a spinning back wheel.

I did not say it was the bike - I was highlighting that there is a growing group of people that are ripping it up, because they can. Was not talking about sensible MTB or E-MTB use. They are like a ball of fire uphill !!!

Normally I'd never see an e-MTBer again on a trail. This 'bunch' were just ripping it up - we kept catching them. Then they'd take an off piste line to get up/past a difficult section.

It was quite noticeable who these people were.

CXRAndy

Guru
It will always be a problem when anyone goes on Virgin ground whether horse, walkers, cyclists.

It really matters not that you have an ebike or stand MTB. Riding on fresh ground will temporarily damage it, unless repeatedly used.

For reference I can dump over a 1000W through my non powered MTB when hitting a climb.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did not say it was the bike - I was highlighting that there is a growing group of people that are ripping it up, because they can. Was not talking about sensible MTB or E-MTB use. They are like a ball of fire uphill !!!

Normally I'd never see an e-MTBer again on a trail. This 'bunch' were just ripping it up - we kept catching them. Then they'd take an off piste line to get up/past a difficult section.

It was quite noticeable who these people were.

Maybe they weren't aware of the etiquette of not going off piste,

Assuming there were no fences or barriers, veering around a difficult bit is something anyone might do.

I can think of a handful of places on my regular cinder tracks which have small extra loops to avoid a muddy bit or somewhere prone to flooding.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You generally don't get fences or barriers. There does seem to be a growing number - it's noticeable who they are, and I suspect they don't know the 'etiquette'. The more that do this, the less we get to use. Plenty of places have lost facilities, and the Forestry Commission regularly take any "home brew" features down.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You generally don't get fences or barriers. There does seem to be a growing number - it's noticeable who they are, and I suspect they don't know the 'etiquette'. The more that do this, the less we get to use. Plenty of places have lost facilities, and the Forestry Commission regularly take any "home brew" features down.
i genuinely get what you saying and that you saw ebikers doing what they did.

But could it also be a fact that non ebikers are also doing it, but you just havent seen them???

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Well, that's an hour+ of my time :ohmy: spent cleaning up a thread which was being derailed, counter-derailed, nit-picked all over and had descended into a rather sad thread about an important subject – that of land erosion. [pick your own group who are responsible...]

Stop it now. :boxing: Just stop it.

Thank you.
:ninja:

Top Bottom