E-MTB - Errosion damage ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Many won't like this, but from a ride I did today with 4 other 'poor fekkers' on analogue MTB's, was that trail centres are getting over run by electric two wheel go carts !

Today's 10 miles took us quite a while, about 2.5 hours with our legs only. We kept catching a bunch of e-MTB riders after they literally flew past on climbs, but we caught them else where...

What I did notice, was bike tyre marks and 'lines' where there shouldn't be. Many parts are difficult to ride, so us non 'electric' lot get off and push, but I noticed loads of off trail lines where e-mtb's had been up (impossible for any non-olympian to ride).

A fair amount of this was causing additional errosion to the trail and difficulty getting through on 'foot'. Certain trail centres cater for this as it's more commercial, but a forest track with little or no supprort can't cope with this extra "I'll go anywhere attitude"

Maybe it's the riders ?

We chatted to the 'guys' a fair amount today, they were taking more breaks than us, but they just cleared stuff us 'human's couldn't, and looking at them, we were certainly 'fitter'. One was riding round in 'wellies'....

There needs to be education when riding a machine that an output much more power than a 'fit' rider, and where to ride - the errosion in this forest was down to folk riding where you normally can't.

Did have to laugh when we passed three of the electric guys crashed off a boardwalk section.. :laugh:

PS this isn't an anti-ebike rant, but from today, we saw more of them than normal bikes, and their riding was much less enviromentally acceptable.

Views ?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
E-MTBs. Not while I have breath in my body- but agreed- the mess made was noticeable.

Slick

Guru
Difficult to picture exactly what you mean as the forest trails round here are quite substantial but if I'm honest, I'm a fan of everyone and anyone out on bikes and don't really see why there's an issue.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Difficult to picture exactly what you mean as the forest trails round here are quite substantial but if I'm honest, I'm a fan of everyone and anyone out on bikes and don't really see why there's an issue.
Cos they're bigger heavier and more powerful than an MTB. They can make a right mess where, as Foss sez, a normal MTBer would get off and push, EMTBs just seem to blat through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I am a fan of getting folk get out, but there is responsible use, and just taking the 'hiss' - the lines taken were just erroding what there was.

This is a proper Red/Black trail, but's been getting wrecked by e-MTBers

OK the group had some 'older riders' - we are older riders ourselves, but there were a fair amount of guys in full wet gear - their own lot said 'are you not hot' - they said 'we aren't really trying'.... we were trying to lose clothing as we were sweatting buckets at 13c...

The issue is there is a trail, 2 ft wide or so, but there were 'lines' very wide of this which were only possible by e-MTB's or Olympians.., 2ft becomes 12 ft....

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a piece that will have to looked at by those who run such centres.
In the short term it may gain extra revenue, in the longer term the damage of five years will take a lot longer to repair. It might even be permanent, meaning the closure of the trails/centres.

Slick

Guru
I am a fan of getting folk get out, but there is responsible use, and just taking the 'hiss' - the lines taken were just erroding what there was.

OK the group had some 'older riders' - we are older riders ourselves, but there were a fair amount of guys in full wet gear - their own lot said 'are you not hot' - they said 'we aren't really trying'.... we were trying to lose clothing as we were sweatting buckets at 13c...

The issue is there is a trail, 2 ft wide or so, but there were 'lines' very wide of this which were only possible by e-MTB's or Olympians.., 2ft becomes 12 ft....
Yes the 2 for becoming 12 foot is an issue but more in the wild, so to speak. If this is a recognised trail then it will be maintained.

classic33

Leg End Member

Similar to more people "hitting the hills" with very little knowledge of what walking "just off the path" leads to.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

It's a piece that will have to looked at by those who run such centres.
In the short term it may gain extra revenue, in the longer term the damage of five years will take a lot longer to repair. It might even be permanent, meaning the closure of the trails/centres.

The damage is outrunning the non-funded centres. Llandegla is coping with it as it's commercial - although the braking 'bumps' in places aren't right, but the Forrestry Commission stuff.... no it won't cope. You are running bikes capable of 3x the power of most 'FIT' folk on a 'feature'.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Yes the 2 for becoming 12 foot is an issue but more in the wild, so to speak. If this is a recognised trail then it will be maintained.

It's not maintained to that extent as the funding does not allow - was obvious. We had a great time, but could see the damage being done by the motor lot... :whistle:

Slick

Guru
Cos they're bigger heavier and more powerful than an MTB. They can make a right mess where, as Foss sez, a normal MTBer would get off and push, EMTBs just seem to blat through.
I really can't see the issue on a maintained trail that is built specifically for bikes. :wacko:

I'll leave it there though as I think the trails I use are much more substantial so I am probably missing something.

Slick

Guru
It's not maintained to that extent as the funding does not allow - was obvious. We had a great time, but could see the damage being done by the motor lot... :whistle:
They are part of life now and all trails should be catering for all. Can't see them being that different if I'm honest, are you sure all the damage was done by these boys?

classic33

Leg End Member
The damage is outrunning the non-funded centres. Llandegla is coping with it as it's commercial - although the braking 'bumps' in places aren't right, but the Forrestry Commission stuff.... no it won't cope. You are running bikes capable of 3x the power of most 'FIT' folk on a 'feature'.
It'll become a "running feature". As the damage in one area becomes to great, they'll move onto new ground and repeat.

Slick

Guru
Similar to more people "hitting the hills" with very little knowledge of what walking "just off the path" leads to.
That is definitely an issue that more people need to be aware off. I suppose a little education would be helpful for trail users as well but they are not usually in super sensitive areas like a lot of the hills.

classic33

Leg End Member
I really can't see the issue on a maintained trail that is built specifically for bikes. :wacko:

I'll leave it there though as I think the trails I use are much more substantial so I am probably missing something.
If whilst you were on such a trail, and the rear wheel, and your legs, couldn't provide forward traction, what would you do?

The motor gives extra power, which may simply remove enough soil to form a small channel. The same with if your rear wheel starts to spin taking the top layer off, and no forward motion. Do you power through the area, or get off and push. Or find a piece of ground that will allow you through.

Top Bottom