E-MTB - Errosion damage ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That is definitely an issue that more people need to be aware off. I suppose a little education would be helpful for trail users as well but they are not usually in super sensitive areas like a lot of the hills.

We came over a climb over some rocks today, and it was like WTF..... I had no idea where to go as it was a mess - that doesn't happen with pedal powered stuff. Stick to the trail, or walk it (on the trail).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

That is definitely an issue that more people need to be aware off. I suppose a little education would be helpful for trail users as well but they are not usually in super sensitive areas like a lot of the hills.

No they aren't in super sensitive areas, but it's 'leave nothing but foot prints'.... keep it as it should be.... leave no litter.....no trace... ride in areas that are sensitive too !

Slick

Guru
If whilst you were on such a trail, and the rear wheel, and your legs, couldn't provide forward traction, what would you do?

The motor gives extra power, which may simply remove enough soil to form a small channel. The same with if your rear wheel starts to spin taking the top layer off, and no forward motion. Do you power through the area, or get off and push. Or find a piece of ground that will allow you through.
I'm obviously missing something because I don't really understand why you would expect me to get off and push if I didn't need to.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I'm obviously missing something because I don't really understand why you would expect me to get off and push if I didn't need to.

I was seeing lines that should not have been ridden, but the power rangers did it that was 'off' the trail. The 'off trail' stuff was astounding... why ride it, just 'because' you have 'power'. Stick on what's provided...

Slick

Guru
Cos not doing so ends up in the ground being ripped up more than it would otherwise. You get that.
Yes I get that but I'm on a bike on a bike trail. I may be having more fun than those not on an ebike but that's their business.

Slick

Guru
I was seeing lines that should not have been ridden, but the power rangers did it that was 'off' the trail. The 'off trail' stuff was astounding... why ride it, just 'because' you have 'power'. Stick on what's provided...
Yes I get that, that is a wider problem that does need looking at but it isn't always just ebikes that do that.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Yes I get that but I'm on a bike on a bike trail. I may be having more fun than those not on an ebike but that's their business.

Define a bike trail....... following the 6" to 2 foot wide trail is OK, e-biking it, over something else to power over an obstical is different.

Get that ? Saw it today....

classic33

Leg End Member
No they aren't in super sensitive areas, but it's 'leave nothing but foot prints'.... keep it as it should be.... leave no litter.....no trace... ride in areas that are sensitive too !
It's any area that is accessible on two wheels really. The damage done in one area will move the damage further down. Especially if there's water involved.

Nature has evolved to adapt to slower term change. You'll often see livestock taking a daft line across soft ground, and from higher up you'll be able to see the tracks they've used for years. It's a way through for you, if treated with respect.

Slick

Guru
Define a bike trail....... following the 6" to 2 foot wide trail is OK, e-biking it, over something else to power over an obstical is different.

Get that ? Saw it today....
I'm sure you did. Maybe just get rid of all the bikes and pedestrianise the lit then we can reduce the erosion further. Leave only footprints then.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Yes I get that, that is a wider problem that does need looking at but it isn't always just ebikes that do that.

E-bikes were making a mess today of 'bike' trails... Put it this way, you aren't getting a beginner on most trails today... (unless funded)... my wife asks, she has a 29'er that's better than my bike, but she would 'die' on nothing other than a green family trail...

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I'm sure you did. Maybe just get rid of all the bikes and pedestrianise the lit then we can reduce the erosion further. Leave only footprints then.

Ebiker, or e-biker menace ? Or better still, full on E-MX bike !

I was seeing bad use of our countryside today... !

classic33

Leg End Member
It may just lead to very sterile trails.
Go back to the taking to the hills I mentioned, the Pennine Way in parts locally, has become a sterile walk, over large stone slabs. Which you are expected to stick to. The once enjoyable slog up to the summit of Snowden has become a very sterile slog up stairs. Again you are expected to keep to them. The damage done is all but permanent.

Top Bottom