E-MTB - Errosion damage ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The truth will always out in the end.

Night night.
Reckon?

I'm struggling with the leave nothing but footprints. How does that tie in with tyretracks ?

Clearly all bikes damage the ground but I can see that the more power the more damage.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was on the ride with Fossy, Dan & co.

It was very obvious that the damage was ebike related. Many parts of the trail where there was any slight technical aspect (not even really technical, but one man's easy is another man's impossible) on an uphill section has just resulted in riders going around the sides and powering up the softer ground that would be unrideable without e-power. This was making a huge mess and ruining the trail for everyone else as the defined track is now just a raised island in the muck that is impossible to get onto.

I think I can point to the exact reason this rise in eMTB use has occured and I have seen it first hand in people I know. It was also clearly demonstrated by many of the riders seen yesterday, dressing up in full overtrousers, coats and wellies etc.

The popularity of the dirt bike in previous decades has waned somewhat. Illegal use has become more difficult as old industrial wastelands have been developed for housing or reclaimed and turned into nature reserves and similar. Organised weekend competitive events have also become less available due to land/venue shortages, greater red tape and insurance issues in an environment of stricter H&S and liability, also pressure from surrounding residents and landowners who try to prevent events (NIMBY).
I know people with dirt bikes who have sold up as they simply can't use them anymore and can't justify the cost to attend the 2 or 3 official events a year that remain.

Guess what they have done, without fail?

Yep, bought eMTBs so they can continue to get their powered speed fix and stuff the damage this causes. It just isn't in their logic to consider the impact of the damage as this is just not a factor to dirt bike use.

Now we have the exact same people that used to tear up the old slag heaps or race around the local paths and bridleways before they got festooned with the restrictor gates we all loath so much, turning up at the trail centres with hi-power eMTBs.

The result is quite predictable :sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
I was on the ride with Fossy, Dan & co.

It was very obvious that the damage was ebike related. Many parts of the trail where there was any slight technical aspect (not even really technical, but one man's easy is another man's impossible) on an uphill section has just resulted in riders going around the sides and powering up the softer ground that would be unrideable without e-power. This was making a huge mess and ruining the trail for everyone else as the defined track is now just a raised island in the muck that is impossible to get onto.

I think I can point to the exact reason this rise in eMTB use has occured and I have seen it first hand in people I know. It was also clearly demonstrated by many of the riders seen yesterday, dressing up in full overtrousers, coats and wellies etc.

The popularity of the dirt bike in previous decades has waned somewhat. Illegal use has become more difficult as old industrial wastelands have been developed for housing or reclaimed and turned into nature reserves and similar. Organised weekend competitive events have also become less available due to land/venue shortages, greater red tape and insurance issues in an environment of stricter H&S and liability, also pressure from surrounding residents and landowners who try to prevent events (NIMBY).
I know people with dirt bikes who have sold up as they simply can't use them anymore and can't justify the cost to attend the 2 or 3 official events a year that remain.

Guess what they have done, without fail?

Yep, bought eMTBs so they can continue to get their powered speed fix and stuff the damage this causes. It just isn't in their logic to consider the impact of the damage as this is just not a factor to dirt bike use.

Now we have the exact same people that used to tear up the old slag heaps or race around the local paths and bridleways before they got festooned with the restrictor gates we all loath so much, turning up at the trail centres with hi-power eMTBs.

The result is quite predictable :sad:

Great analysis.

The same process as MtB use on footpaths (as opposed to bridleways) a few years ago when we were walking with young kids, and still occurring in some places I know, where MtB's made the foot path an impassable muddy mess.

Ditto, the conflict between "I have a right to be here" legal but aggressive MtB-ers on Bridleways in conflict with riders on horses.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was on the ride as well yesterday and the sheer numbers of what I might describe as Strava lines going across virgin land was shocking. I have no issue with Emtb's if they are used with respect and follow the trail, but smashing lines that simply wouldn't normally exist, damaging the landscape is poor form.
I have seen it with motorbikes in the Peak District on bridleways that become difficult for both peds, horseriders and mtb'ers to navigate because some dick on a powered vehicle thinks it is ok to rip up the trail. It really isn't and I hope, although I fear the worst, the Emtb's will understand this. :sad:

Top Bottom