E-MTB - Errosion damage ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I am sure that in the late 80s if a forum for walkers existed they would be moaning about these new fangled MTBs churning up the paths. Whilst I am sure e-MTBs are causing more damage per bike than an MTB it is a bit rich of MTB riders to be so vocal about the new tribe in a such derogative manner. I don't have the answer to how to solve erosion on un/low maintained trails except banning all types of user or creating even more trails to lighten the load on individual trails, but if something can be done it will need the cooperation of all trail users.
Werd.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
As far as i can see walkers started the erosion, mtb’ers made it worse and now E mtbs are finishing it off……but only one group is being pilleged for the damage.

Nothing new there

Tenkaykev

Guru
But is it only E bikers???…….could it not be normal bikes too???
Are you really unable to understand what’s being discussed? Using an ebike provides enough power to venture onto places where mere mortals on human powered bikes couldn’t go. This results in destroying the landscape, much like the 4 by 4 destroying the grove roads and bridleways as mentioned in another post.

Last edited by a moderator:

jowwy

Are you really unable to understand what’s being discussed? Using an ebike provides enough power to venture onto places where mere mortals on human powered bikes couldn’t go. This results in the thick and lazy destroying the landscape, much like the 4 by 4 numpties destroying the grove roads and bridleways as mentioned in another post.
So now they are thick and lazy too…….

it would seem that name calling on this forum is rife yet again.

Tenkaykev

Guru

Not name calling, just pointing out that if you are aware of the environmental damage and choose to do it anyway then yes, you are both intellectually challenged and unable to destroy the landscape without mechanical assistance.

jowwy

You really don't like it. I only reported what I saw.
Like i said….its seems ok for MTBers to damage the landscapes and carve out trails, whether volunteers or not, but no one else is allowed. Just seems double standards at play for me here.

But we can agree to disagree and move on.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like i said….its seems ok for MTBers to damage the landscapes and carve out trails, whether volunteers or not, but no one else is allowed. Just seems double standards at play for me here.

But we can agree to disagree and move on.

I was reporting what I saw. Maybe these guys just didn't care but not sticking to the trail and tearing up other areas is not on. Applies to any MTBer, but the powered lot were going where us fairly fit leg only lot couldn't.

classic33

Leg End Member

I've likened it to walking, where over use has seen paths in some areas "sterilized" and ruining the area by using large stone slabs for the path. Getting folk to stick to them is high on impossible.

This leads to landowners wanting to divert ROW/Long Distance Footpaths off their land. The same will happen with e-assist mountainbikes. Quite possibly all bikes. We sort the problem, before it becomes a problem that there is no way back from.

Question: If you can't physically turn the pedals under your own power on an uphill section, no motor to assist. What do you do, get off and push the bike up or go wide of where you should be going to get to the top of section?

jowwy

Not name calling, just pointing out that if you are aware of the environmental damage and choose to do it anyway then yes, you are both intellectually challenged and unable to destroy the landscape without mechanical assistance.
Hmmmmmmmm - are normal MTBs not mechanical then

Top Bottom