E-road bike weights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks Roy - the issue arises because on many shop's sites the battery is quoted as 208 Wh. and the range figures I saw quoted (somewhere) I am beginning to suspect you are correct though. I await Scott's email! I have also been looking closely at the Orbeas again too, with their addition of the bar mounted display on the newer models.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Does sound like there is some misinformation 'out there' ! and It does the prospective purchaser no favours does it ?
Like you I would need a definitive answer to this before parting with my 'hard earned'

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Just received:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
The Mahle intube battery in our Addict eRIDE models is a 250w and the extra power bottle cage battery is a Mahle 208w.

Kind Regards

Your Scott Sports Team

Customer Service:

SCOTT SPORTS SA (UK Branch)
Unit 3, Baker Road
Nelson Park West
Northumberland
Cramlington, NE23 1WL

CXRAndy

Guru
Just received:

The Mahle intube battery in our Addict eRIDE models is a 250w and the extra power bottle cage battery is a Mahle 208w.

Kind Regards

Your Scott Sports Team

Customer Service:

Unit 3, Baker Road
Nelson Park West
Northumberland
Cramlington, NE23 1WL

So you would get approx 1 hour of full power assistance in perfect conditions. Expect less, but if its only 100W of extra for hills then you could get quite a big ride.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

So you would get approx 1 hour of full power assistance in perfect conditions. Expect less, but if its only 100W of extra for hills then you could get quite a big ride.
How does this relate this to real life rides? I currently average roughly 1mile for 2% of charge riding a 16kg bike with the same EBM X35 system.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Just received:

Kind Regards

Your Scott Sports Team

Customer Service:

Unit 3, Baker Road
Nelson Park West
Northumberland
Cramlington, NE23 1WL

So that's where the '208w' figure comes from !

I don't understand what CXRAndy is saying in his last post :blush:

So you will get the same battery performance from the Scott as you did from the Orbea Gain when new I presume ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

So that's where the '208w' figure comes from !

I don't understand what CXRAndy is saying in his last post :blush:

So you will get the same battery performance from the Scott as you did from the Orbea Gain when new I presume ?
So you w
Yes, I assume the range extenders from Mahle for all the X35 bikes are the same 208W.
I would hope I'd get better range (and riding experience) from a 12 kg bike than a 16 kg one if only because over 25kmph I will find it easier to maintain higher speeds. Of course, I'm sure there are many on Cycle Chat that will tell me that less weight or better components will make no difference! ^_^.
However stock levels of all these bikes are abysmal - non existent (Ribble quote end of April '22 at the earliest for example) so it looks like a long term project anyway.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
think i will stick with my slicked up cube acid, with carbon MTB forks and 500wh battery.........with flat bars and hydraulic disc brakes ( and up until recently di2)

cost a hell of a lot less than the road E bikes, will do a lot more miles if needed and with 2" tyres, better over our shoot roads

CXRAndy

Guru
250W constant using a250Whr battery. Means you will last 1 hour. Use a proportion of that and you get a multiple in distance, approximate.

@jowwy I'm the same, my bike is cheap compared to European or USA but is highly specc'd

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
The difference in weight is almost irrelevant with an E-bike. More important is power and torque.

Assuming you're sticking to regulation, get one with the most torque, it will feel punchy on acceleration compared to lesser torque models.

Oh and the largest battery it will take-for increased range
What he said.

I have a Cube Agree hybrid, it's a carbon frame. It uses the Fazua motor system. When I weighed it, out of curiosity, with pedals, cages, tubes, tyres, pump and mounts for computer and lights it came out at just under 15kg, size 56.

It has a claimed 50 or 55 nm of torque from its motor, the originals like mine were claimed at 50. The batery/motor pack is detachable, I've weighed it at 3.34kg. The bottom bracket is claimed to weigh 1.3 or .4kg iirc. Peak power is claimed at 250w.

The bike can be ridden without the battery/motor pack, Fazua has a cover available for the hole, but it's not needed. So it would a very heavy road bike 11.5 - 12kg.

The Fazua system is bulkier than a hub motor system so the bikes look chunkier, but some of the newer aero bikes look quite chunky in the down tube, where the Fazua system sits.

I went with the Fazua system because it opened up a range of wheelsets to me. I was a lot heavier when I bought the bike so there was the ability to put an uprated wheelset on the bike until I lost weight. I have not had to go down that route though the Mavic Aksium's seem to be holding round fairly well.

One final thing to consider. Where the assist is coming from. A hub system will put almost no additinal stress/wear on the drivetrain, a mid mount motor will. You may, probably will, experience a higher wear rate on you chain, cassette and chain rings with a mid mount. Keep on top of your drivechain maintenance with a mid mount motor.

theboxers

If one knew the frame weights, it would be easy, but perhaps a little tedious, to calculate a fair estimate of the bike's weight as information for component weight is relatively easy to find. I'm not too worried about tyres, saddle and such like as I expect to fit my own favourites if required. Re torque etc most of the bikes I'm looking at use the same EBM system. Of course I look at the claimed figures. I'm not necessarily buying the lightest bike, but the one that suits me best. As for weighing the bike instore ... some places are very reluctant to allow you to even touch the bikes ( I always ask BTW). And finally, weight is important to me. I'm not getting any stronger and even putting my 16kg Gain (inc. pedals, bottle, tools etc) in the car has become difficult. It is also important when riding without assistance. IME it is easier to ride an unpowered 8kg bike than a 16kg one. Every little bit helps. Before anyone suggests it I could lose a couple of kg too, but I'm already below 60kg anyway :okay:)
My 10kg GT Grade aluminium bike feels easier to ride in most situations than my 15kg Cube, even uphill with assist on, untill my legs give out. The geometries are different, ones road ones gravel, but the Grade just feels easier to ride.

gzoom

Über Member
My 10kg GT Grade aluminium bike feels easier to ride in most situations than my 15kg Cube, even uphill with assist on, untill my legs give out.

'Climbing' on my Fazua eBike without the motor on is painful/awful, it feels like it weights 30kg!! Slow, unresponsive, just not an unpleasant experience compared to the road bike. Even with the motor on its not what I would call 'fun' even though obviously its much quicker - even up 10% gradients its pretty easy to hit the 15mph limit on max boost. I just don't even bother getting out of the saddle on the eBike these days.

theboxers

'Climbing' on my Fazua eBike without the motor on is painful/awful, it feels like it weights 30kg!! Slow, unresponsive, just not an unpleasant experience compared to the road bike. Even with the motor on its not what I would call 'fun' even though obviously its much quicker - even up 10% gradients its pretty easy to hit the 15mph limit on max boost. I just don't even bother getting out of the saddle on the eBike these days.
I'm in the 'only use it if I have to' camp. I may be slug slow up hills, being 112kg doesn't help, but I'll ride unassisted, until I can't :blink::cry:.

This is usually around 7-8%, with the gearing on the Cube 34F/32R, I can do short stretches of maybe 100 mtrs @7-9% but then the legs go bang. The GT has a 36F/42R low gear and I can ride that up 10% on longer hills 2-300mtrs and even higher 15% or more for shorter stretches <100mtrs with a run up :smile:.

For me, currently, gearing is the limitation. If I can continue to lose weight I may be able to ride the steeper grades unassisted. Until the rubber gets shifted I won't know, hence the continued use of the E-bike :sad:

Top Bottom