E-road bike weights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
IME it is easier to ride an unpowered 8kg bike than a 16kg one. Every little bit helps.

I do agree you can 100% feel a massive difference riding a 16kg eBike and a 8kg road bike. However the price premium to go from 12kg to 10kg on an eBike with a X35 motor is around £4-5k, in addition to the £4-5k asking price of the 12kg bike.

If you have the cash go for it, as the component list of the near £10K+ eBikes are mouth watering (as you would expect), but it is alot to pay for not much weight loss.

If am allowed to buy another road bike it'll be a carbon framed one with a X35 motor. The £5k price point does seem to be the 'sweet spot' for these road eBike, alot to pay for a pedal bike but even a half decent analogue pedal bike easily £4k+ these days so a £1k premium for some assistance up hills doesn't seem horrific.

CXRAndy

Guru
Apart from physically lifting the bike in/out of a car. Your 8kg difference example is easily cancelled out.

Tell me anyone who can produce an extra 250 Watts of power from 8kg of added weight?

I'll answer my own question-no one :okay:

gzoom

Über Member
Apart from physically lifting the bike in/out of a car. Your 8kg difference example is easily cancelled out.

Tell me anyone who can produce an extra 250 Watts of power from 8kg of added weight?

I'll answer my own question-no one :okay:

Ture, but if you can afford it why wouldn't you get one of these....

Screenshot-2020-10-27-at-16.57.26.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
Because I don’t (yet) want power assist when cycling

I thought this was about what kind of eBike the OP wanted, and not if people want an eBike. Ofcourse for similar price you can get one of these (£11k give or take) nice bikes these days costs £££££, eBike or not ;).

021-Road-Bike-Review-Test-Project-One-074-1140x760.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Ture, but if you can afford it why wouldn't you get one of these....

View attachment 606510

Its a beautiful bike whether ebike or not. Just add two filled water bottles and £4k is blown out of the water.

Like others and I have said weight becomes almost irrelevant when it becomes an ebike.

The OP has very particular requirements, I wish him well in his quest :okay:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The Scott is a very pretty bike - I have examined them up close - and that is very important to me, but as I said upthread it has a smaller battery than it's competitors - 208 Wh, against 250 Wh for most of the X35 powered bikes.

Edit -
The Scott bikes are the Scott Addict eRIDE 20 @£4399, and the
Scott Addict eRIDE 10 @ £6199. If the battery was 250 Wh I would seriously consider the eRIDE 20. Even the charge socket cover is beautifully thought out. There is no way I'd want to spoil their looks with the range extender.

Last edited:

richtea

I'm looking at e-ROAD bikes - Orbea, Ribble, Scott, Bianchi, Pinarello etc (probably not Pinarello!), mostly using the ebikemotion X35 system. Carbon framed come in at 11.5 - 12. 5 kg at the lightest, alloy a little more., depending on equipment. The Scott are very light, but I discovered that their battery is smaller capacity than the Orbea Gain's or Ribble's SLE for example.
Basic alloy Orbea Gains (£2-2.5k) are around 15Kgs - which in eBike terms is fairly light, and in road ebike terms fairly cheap.
To get down to the 11-13Kg mark you're going to be spending £5-10k, but from the brands you've listed I suspect you aready know that.

One poster above rightly says weight doesn't matter so much when you have assistance, but if you want to keep the feel of a non-ebike (for example, you only want assistance for the steep bits of your rides) then weight is definitely a factor.

richtea

The Scott bikes are the Scott Addict eRIDE 20 @£4399, and the
Scott Addict eRIDE 10 @ £6199. If the battery was 250 Wh I would seriously consider the eRIDE 20. Even the charge socket cover is beautifully thought out. There is no way I'd want to spoil their looks with the range extender.
According to this review (and looking at the images), the Addict eRIDE 20 is based on a standard 250W Mahle X35+ model, so it's equivalent to Ribble & Orbea models. Looks good to me in terms of weight, and a reasonable price.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

According to this review (and looking at the images), the Addict eRIDE 20 is based on a standard 250W Mahle X35+ model, so it's equivalent to Ribble & Orbea models. Looks good to me in terms of weight, and a reasonable price.
Yes, but I believe the standard battery in the down tube is only 208 Wh, which will reduce the range compared with an equivalent spec Ribble or Orbea.

gzoom

Über Member
Its a beautiful bike whether ebike or not. Just add two filled water bottles and £4k is blown out of the water.

But thats also true for any £10k+ sub 7kg analogue road bike, it doesn't make them any less desirable, but clearly for most of us dropping £10K on any pedal bike requires quite a lot of man maths and just pure financial ignorance :laugh:.

Weight saving in ebikes is often done by reducing battery capacity - a small drop in cells gives a large weight gain and reduces the cost to build it.
Whereas using lighter components increases costs and gain only a few grammes

but the range drop is also significant

So you would have to greatly increase the price to get a slightly lighter ebike with the same range

and you normally end up with a bike with the battery inside the frame - which can be a pain to remove and charge if charging on the bike is not convenient
just something to consider/watch out for

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Weight saving in ebikes is often done by reducing battery capacity - a small drop in cells gives a large weight gain and reduces the cost to build it.
Whereas using lighter components increases costs and gain only a few grammes

but the range drop is also significant

So you would have to greatly increase the price to get a slightly lighter ebike with the same range

and you normally end up with a bike with the battery inside the frame - which can be a pain to remove and charge if charging on the bike is not convenient
just something to consider/watch out for
ALL the bikes I have referred to have batteries inside the frame - that is the way the Mahle Ebikemotion X35 system is designed!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The difference between an expensive carbon frame and a cheap one will be a couple of hundred grams. The weight is mainly in the battery, then motor, then wheels. Components do add up, but are incredibly easy to compare when looking at bike to bike. Guessing weights should be fairly easy when you have the weights of a few comparable models.

Top Bottom