E-road bike weights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ALL the bikes I have referred to have batteries inside the frame - that is the way the Mahle Ebikemotion X35 system is designed!
Which is fine - just pointing out that the ease of removal to charge can be a factor

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Which is fine - just pointing out that the ease of removal to charge can be a factor
- as I said upthread, I 've had an Orbea Gain with the X35 system for over 3 years, so I've lived with the inconvenience of the enclosed battery with no problems. I can see the advantages of the Fazua system's removeable battery, but the other approach of a large battery stuck on the down tube would rather ruin the looks of one of these e-road bikes - as does the range extender available for the X35 system - but a necessary evil perhaps if a longer range is wanted.

richtea

Yes, but I believe the standard battery in the down tube is only 208 Wh, which will reduce the range compared with an equivalent spec Ribble or Orbea.
Hmm, the Scott webpage says 250W (2/3rds down):
40Nm | 36V | 250W

I'd be very surprised if Mahle introduced two variants of their X35+ system. It would be brand-damaging without easy-to-identify labels/names.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

40Nm | 36V | 250W

I'd be very surprised if Mahle introduced two variants of their X35+ system. It would be brand-damaging without easy-to-identify labels/names.
Yes, but if you look at the specs of the individual models 'battery' is shown as 208Wh, and on the specs of the 'Premium' " Mahle 36V-208Wh + xTra Power Bottle Cage Battery 36v-250W ". There does seem to be some confusion about which battery is 208 Wh and which is 250. This confusion persists in information on suppliers websites and in various reviews I've seen too. I have seen range quoted somewhere too, at 45km which I thought was rather low for a 250 Wh battery. Obviously this needs clarifying. A variant of the system would not be required - 208 Wh would simply be a battery with less capacity.

edit - I've just emailed Scott asking for clarification. If it was 250 Wh I would seriously consider this bike!

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I paid circa 1800 brand new for my ebike, it came in at a tad under 22kgs……2 mods later and it now weighs less than 20kgs and at zero exra cost as i already had the parts from various other builds.

namely forks and wheels……..and the stupid premise that you need e bike specific tyres.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I've done similar with my Gain - changed the seatpost, saddle, front wheel and especially the tyres - the Kenda 'Krankfish' it came with (no I've never heard of them either) 28mm were around 400gm each and made it feel like riding through treacle. Changed them to GP5000's. I think the idea that you need e-bike specific tyres is a great one - for the tyre makers marketing dept!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've done similar with my Gain - changed the seatpost, saddle, front wheel and especially the tyres - the Kenda 'Krankfish' it came with (no I've never heard of them either) 28mm were around 400gm each and made it feel like riding through treacle. Changed them to GP5000's. I think the idea that you need e-bike specific tyres is a great one - for the tyre makers marketing dept!
Aint that true, cause the bike certainly doesnt

CXRAndy

Guru
40Nm | 36V | 250W

You're confusing the rated power of the motor at 250 Watts.

The battery is rated either in Watt hours W/hrs or amperage. Mostly quoted as 17Ah with voltage of the battery 36, 48, 52 Volts.

To get your Watt hours, multiply the rated amps/hr by the voltage of the system.

Eg 17Ah X 36V=612Whrs

Scaleyback

Veteran
Unless you're doing a lot of climbing weight isn't as important as we used to think.

I've only just read this thread and 'cougie's' post was in the 1st page.
'cougie' you also have to consider the weight of the bike when not riding it ?
I like the poster have the Orbea Gain and with my fitted full mudguards and 700x35c tyres + Cycliq Fly12/Garmin Varia radar light/ Garmin bike computer etc etc my Gain D30 is 16kg OTR which is not a problem. I store my bike on a wall mounted rack which means lifting it to head height. I'm 74 and I can manage it but I doubt I could if it was 20kg. I also have a tow bar cycle carrier which is easier to lift onto than the wall rack but again i wouldn't want it to weigh 20+ Kg. I often turn it upside down, on to saddle and handlebars for cleaning/oiling/maint etc, again 16kg is manageable but . . .

As an aside I have owned a Park Tool DS1 Digital scale for some years and I have weighed many bikes over the years many that have had a manufacturers weight stated (they don't seem to do that now ! ) as you would expect the stated weights are never (in my experience) achieved
so perhaps just as well they rarely give weights anymore ?

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Scott's webpage for road bikes https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/bike-bikes-ebike-road
All 4 models quote these specs for the motor and battery

• Mahle Motor 40Nm Torque, 460Wh which is 36V at ~13Ah
Yes, but further on down the page for 3 of the four models you will read:

• BATTERY
    Mahle 36V-208W
and for the 'Premium' you will read:

• BATTERY
    Mahle 36V-208Wh + xTra Power Bottle Cage Battery 36v-250W
The confusion relates to which of the 2 batteries is the one fitted in the down tube of the bike??

Scaleyback

Veteran
Nice looking bike the Addict e-ride.
Ref the battery power, don't know if this helps ?
This is a review of a USA spec bike see Here:-
From this review:

" Pedal assist in the form of 250W of power and 40Nm of torque helps you move along, but will never do all the work for you

With a 252Wh battery and an optional 208Wh range-extender battery for a maximum 460Wh capacity, you can put more miles into your adventures. "

That suggests to me that it is the same battery as the Gain, and it would surprise me if there was a different battery output in the e-ride compared to all the other bikes using the ebikemotion x35 power train.

You do right to check of course, good luck with getting a lucid answer. :hello:

Top Bottom