E-road bike weights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Checking out and trying to compare bikes from various brands for the n+1 bike. Getting really annoyed with the lack of information available regarding bike weight. I know all the arguments the brands give to justify not giving weights but it can't be that hard for the brand to give a reasonably accurate figure for each size, and spec as advertised. All you need to know is the frame weight (and they should know that shouldn't they?) and component weights, or of course just weigh a bike from the assembly line.
Rose used to do this for their bikes. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of e-road bike weights?
Telling us we should visit the brand's dealers is pointless in these times of short supply and limited stock of sizes. Often the dealer has no idea of actual weight either!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Unless you are paying a lot of money most e bikes are between 20-30 kg.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I'm looking at e-ROAD bikes - Orbea, Ribble, Scott, Bianchi, Pinarello etc (probably not Pinarello!), mostly using the ebikemotion X35 system. Carbon framed come in at 11.5 - 12. 5 kg at the lightest, alloy a little more., depending on equipment. The Scott are very light, but I discovered that their battery is smaller capacity than the Orbea Gain's or Ribble's SLE for example.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I'm looking at e-ROAD bikes - Orbea, Ribble, Scott, Bianchi, Pinarello etc (probably not Pinarello!), mostly using the ebikemotion X35 system. Carbon framed come in at 11.5 - 12. 5 kg at the lightest, alloy a little more., depending on equipment. The Scott are very light, but I discovered that their battery is smaller capacity than the Orbea Gain's or Ribble's SLE for example.

So you’re going down the paying a lot of money route

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless you physically select one in your size and place it on the scales you have zero means of establishing true weights.

As is oft aforementioned, there is no universal method of quoting bike weights. Some quote ready to ride, some without pedals, some without even tyres and choobs. Some realise what eubvish itmis and don't quote at all and exhort vuyers to go to a store and decide for themselves.

Ebikes present even more opportunity for massaging the numbers, with or without batteries, carrying chargers or not, all sorts of shenanigans on top of the tyres, tubes, pedals, accessories question.

And then there is the question of sizing. Every manufacturers sizing regime differs, so what exactly is one comparing against?

Unless you have the bikes in front of you on the scales in a size suitable for you, ready to ride, its an exercise in utter futility. Go to a few shops and see for yourself.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I'm going down the kind of bike I've ridden for over 60 years route - drop bar road bike, but with a bit of assistance required nowadays.
I already have an Orbea Gain, one of the early alloy ones.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Unless you physically select one in your size and place it on the scales you have zero means of establishing true weights.

As is oft aforementioned, there is no universal method of quoting bike weights. Some quote ready to ride, some without pedals, some without even tyres and choobs. Ebikes present even more opportunity for massaging the numbers.

And then there is the question of sizing. Every manufacturers sizing regime differs, so what wxsctly is one comparing against?

Unless you have the bikes in front of you on the scales in your size, ready to ride, its an exercise in utter futility. Go to a few shops and see for yourself.
OK, visiting the various brands dealers is just not practical - - would probably involve travelling (driving!) hundreds of miles. I have also visited dealers who have no idea of the actual weight of the bikes they are selling, and are not willing to even let you pick up bikes in their boutques. At the very least brands should publish frame weights. I stand by my original post. I'm aware of all the supposed arguments against.
Question of sizing - obviously I would be comparing the weight of bikes in the size of that would fit me, and comparing their weight.

Drago

Legendary Member
That being the case, you have zero prospect of establishing the weights of these machines.

You can't rely on manufacturers claims for the reasons cited above.

You can rely on helpful folk stripping their bikes back to a common standard (I would suggest ready to ride sans pedals) and weighing their bikes for you, but again it fails as a comparison exercise due to the sizing inconsistencies also mentioned above.

I can understand your motivation, but it really is an exercise in futility - you will not establish any genuinely accurate or useful data.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

If the range is only 1kg then it’s not worth worrying about, trying to get an exact weight, is it?

OK, visiting the various brands dealers is just not practical - - would probably involve travelling (driving!) hundreds of miles. I have also visited dealers who have no idea of the actual weight of the bikes they are selling, and are not willing to even let you pick up bikes in their boutques. At the very least brands should publish frame weights. I stand by my original post. I'm aware of all the supposed arguments against.
Question of sizing - obviously I would be comparing the weight of bikes in the size of that would fit me, and comparing their weight.
Why not bring along the scales? After all the expenses nobody wants to have a bike that is above the average. So I get where you are coming from.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm going down the kind of bike I've ridden for over 60 years route - drop bar road bike, but with a bit of assistance required nowadays.
I already have an Orbea Gain, one of the early alloy ones.

The difference in weight is almost irrelevant with an E-bike. More important is power and torque.

Assuming you're sticking to regulation, get one with the most torque, it will feel punchy on acceleration compared to lesser torque models.

Oh and the largest battery it will take-for increased range

With the current supply problems the concept of visiting places to see a real bike of the spec you want is even worse than normal
My LBS used to have a large upstairs showroom as well as his downstairs front window - that upstairs room has contained about a dozen helmets and an old road bike and nothing else since he ran out of bikes in lockdown 1

so the only place around here with a reasonable display of bike is Halfords :eek: - and they are mostly at the cheaper end and kids bikes!

gzoom

Über Member

You will not get any eBikes lighter 11kg without going nuts on other components, as you have noticed Scott manages to get lower with a slightly smaller battery. All these bikes are using essentially the same motor setup.

X35 – Light & Smart eBike System – MAHLE Smartbike Systems (ebikemotion.com)

The lightest mid-drive unit is from Fazua, but the lowest weight you are looking at is 14kgs. My Boardman has the Fazua motor which is fab, when the motor is on you don't feel the weight of the bike, howere the rest of the bike is so-so, given the spec of the frame and other bits.

I would say if you have the cash, make sure you spec up the rest of the bike like any other, weight isn't that much of an issue on these lighter eBikes. As we are constantly been told pure speed on the flat aero is key, and with aero bars on my 16kg Boardman hybrid + assistance from the motor for climbs its as fast (if not faster) than my sub 8kg road bike!!

50333222062_137b8ddf58_c_d.jpg

50305502981_5ccf6c1cc2_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

If one knew the frame weights, it would be easy, but perhaps a little tedious, to calculate a fair estimate of the bike's weight as information for component weight is relatively easy to find. I'm not too worried about tyres, saddle and such like as I expect to fit my own favourites if required. Re torque etc most of the bikes I'm looking at use the same EBM system. Of course I look at the claimed figures. I'm not necessarily buying the lightest bike, but the one that suits me best. As for weighing the bike instore ... some places are very reluctant to allow you to even touch the bikes ( I always ask BTW). And finally, weight is important to me. I'm not getting any stronger and even putting my 16kg Gain (inc. pedals, bottle, tools etc) in the car has become difficult. It is also important when riding without assistance. IME it is easier to ride an unpowered 8kg bike than a 16kg one. Every little bit helps. Before anyone suggests it I could lose a couple of kg too, but I'm already below 60kg anyway :okay:)

Top Bottom