E scooter / ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
In the UK at least, e-scooters are not a legal road vehicle. They do however, where trials are being run, require a driving license. Because they are classed as motor vehicles.

Drago

Legendary Member
But are they type approved, registered and ready to roll?

Until theyre type approved (or IVA'd), registered, and all the rest of it, they aren't legal - ive yet to see one with type approval or that would have the remotest hope of passing an IVA.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There's no policing of them either way, I think most forces (a) have bigger fish to fry and (b) are likely unsure what they're dealing with and exactly how to deal with it, so it's easier to leave it be. They're fast growing in numbers near me and they don't get challenged.
One local pot head rides his at traffic speed (30mph) on a predictable route, I've called it into the police and they make nice noises, but he carries on regardless, has done for a year now.

Legislation / regulation and policing of them will catch up at some point, but right now they're way behind the curve and have been caught out by the speed of change.

I'm a fan of electric scooters by the way, as a concept, especially if they get someone out of a car. They need regulating better though.

Top Bottom