E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I passed one this morning on the B2B Railway Path and boy, those things can move!. I was wondering if they are legal on cyclepaths since technically, they could be classed as motorised vehicles. One assumes that if this is the case, they'd need a licence plate & lights and really shouldn't be on cyclepaths. I read online that they're not really road legal either.

Also, what about those single wheel things?. Like 'hoverboards' (I hate that term, wheels still touch the floor. I don't ride a 'hoverbike'!!), they can be pretty fast too.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?. Curious:blush:.

Johnno260

Veteran
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meet-batman-tunbridge-wells-mystery-6198089

You mean this single wheel ones? used by super heroes?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do not believe that electric scooters are illegal as long as they are limited to certain speed, probably similar to bikes.

Very few are actually that slow. My son clocked one doing over 20mph on our camp site - he was going quicker on his mum's new Full suspension MTB !

As a result of some near misses, all electric scooters and hover boards have been banned on site. There are some upset parents, but quite a few kids have nearly been run over shooting out in front of cars (that said, bikes can go as quick).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I do not believe that electric scooters are illegal as long as they are limited to certain speed, probably similar to bikes.

No, they're the same category as Segways and do not have approval for use in public. Users should be prepared for the various RTA charges they'll face when caught.

icowden

Veteran

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bet this is fun..

https://www.mafscooters.com/maf-evolution-x2000s-sport-electric-scooter-60v-2000w-lithium-1721-p.asp

PS that's what a lot of the kids have (or similar)

tom73

Guru
Private land only not allowed on road , pavement or cycle lines.
Normal push sort though can be used but only on the highway.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yeah, right. I'm sure they do...LOL!.

There's a fast-food delivery scooter I've seen which falls into this category but the rider seems to think a bicycle helmet will do. The vehicle doesn't display the required registration plate and most likely he has no licence or insurance either so, assuming your LOL is referring to the likelihood of compliance, I agree with you.

The serious problems will arise when this kind of rider is involved in a collision with someone else.

Top Bottom