E-type derailleur as replacement for non E-type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotsbikester

I've found a NOS ("New Old Stock") UN72 bottom bracket for sale. It's the correct size for my bottom bracket shell (English 68mm) and the correct spindle length (110mm)

But it's an E-Type. These are, or perhaps were, designed for E-type derailleurs which were mounted via a bracket which had a hole so that they were trapped between the drive side cup and the BB shell.

So I assume that the only difference is a longer drive side cup, and maybe a wider flange on that cup.

So if I mounted it on a bike without an E-type derailleur all I would have to do is use a BB spacer of the same thickness as an E-type derailleur, in order to get the correct chainline.

I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that in square taper a spindle length of 110mm means just that, regardless of how the cups are arranged.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

Thanks
PS, as I don't have an E-type derailleur, it would also give me the opportunity to install a BB mounted chain catcher, or a chain guard. Or anything else that is usually sandwiched between bottom bracket cup and BB shell.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can't see any problem with fitting a spacer or a cup mount chain guide.

And 110mm is 110mm, no matter what cups or attachments you've got.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom