Ealing to Lymington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Plot the route on Garmin connect and then send it to your device. I often do that with my 200

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
I normally do that - but wondered if you could just export the google one as it would be quicker than me plottiing 90 miles out. Im being lazy...

Um, you haven't posted a link, you need to click this
Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 17.18.40.png

on google maps to get a link to the actual map you are looking at.

frank9755

Cyclist
I think you can do it but it's not simple as google maps has its own proprietary format.

The simple answer is don't use google maps to plot your routes but use a site like RidewithGPS, BikeHike, BikeRouteToaster, Strava or Garmin Connect, which are designed for this purpose and will generate a GPX or TCS file at the click of a button.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Brilliant thanks just done it now. I just plotted start & finish - hopefully the route is ok, doesnt look like its taking me on the motorway. Will try and upload it onto my garmin when I get home.
I see you are from west london, so will come looking for you if my house is empty on my return...

Frank's not the only one that clicked the link from west london who clicked the link.

You take the electronics, I'll get the cash and jewellery.

Moda

Frank's not the only one that clicked the link from west london who clicked the link.

You take the electronics, I'll get the cash and jewellery.

I know you only jest but what a sad world we live in as there ARE people that think this way :sad:

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Well I've told the wife to guard the house!!

Has anyone ever cycled on the A30, as thats the route ride with GPS suggests? Hoping its not all dual carrigeways...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well I've told the wife to guard the house!!
Has anyone ever cycled on the A30, as thats the route ride with GPS suggests? Hoping its not all dual carrigeways...

I've done bits of it, but TBH it's not something I'd recommend.
Also, I decide which roads I want to travel on and set up the GPS accordingly - I never, ever let it suggest a way to go.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've done bits of it, but TBH it's not something I'd recommend.
Also, I decide which roads I want to travel on and set up the GPS accordingly - I never, ever let it suggest a way to go.
+1. After three years of Garmin ownership, I still get it wrong occasionally, but I've tried to learn from my mistakes, and clicking at start and end points is definitely a big mistake.

frank9755

Cyclist
Well, I rode from Ealing to Lymington last weekend - then on to the Isle of Wight. Here's my route:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3114060
(it doesn't start from my house!)

Most of it was good, apart from the bit from Kingston to Guildford, which I mapped in a bit of a hurry and choose roads which were both busy and dull. Most of it from Guildford on was a joy. You could do other variations getting in to the New Forest: I did a bit of a loop as my companion had not been there before.

The A30 is mostly ok to cycle on if you are a confident cyclist and in a hurry but not what I would call fun. There are better alternatives.

The Three Down audax gives two other proven routes to the New Forest. They start from Chalfont but worth looking at for alternatives:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2313660

Top Bottom