Ear Candling

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Pro Tour Punditry, 16 Sep 2018.

1. Mrs PTP mentioned this to me tonight, and showed me a video of how it works, as she reckons I need to stop sticking cotton buds in my lugs.

The video makes it look as if she's maybe just planning on setting fire to me. But if she fails in that and does it properly maybe it will be a good thing.

Anyone got any experience of this?

Donger, Bollo and marinyork like this.
  2. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

It's bollocks.

https://www.badscience.net/2004/03/waxing-sceptical/

3. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

you're setting fire to your ear wax ? should you not get it out of your ear first

I was told not toput anything smaller than my elbow in me ear. althogh to be quite honest, I can nae seem t be able to get me elbow in., either my ears in a funny place or my shoulders no right

4. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I'm no setting fire to them

5. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Does your GP not have an ear hoover? Ours does.
    That’ll get the crap out.

raleighnut likes this.
  6. Bollo

Bollo Failed Tech Bro

I remember reading a story that the Hopi Native American nation had never heard of the practice and weren’t especially happy that their name was being appropriated for some dumbass alternative therapy.

That’s a blow for my Geordie Eye Drill business.

7. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I will occasionally do it. I don’t think it works for the reasons it is MEANT to work (clearing the sinuses) but it is something mindful, quiet and relaxing to do without any interruptions. I like the smell too.

8. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Banana

If you need to clean out your ears use ear drops of olive oil which helps to soften the wax.

PaulB, BSOh and raleighnut like this.
  9. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I don't think doctors surgeries provide a service anymore for wax removal, the doctor will refer the patient (if they deem it appropriate) to the hospital clinic.
    My daughter brought a kit from the pharmacy a few weeks ago, very cheap and very effective.

10. pawl

pawl Veteran

Practice on someone else’s ears

classic33, raleighnut and Bollo like this.
  11. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

classic33, Bollo and BSOh like this.
  12. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Banana

Was that kid sedated????? Having that done hurts like hell especially when it is that much and digging around like that looked very painful especially when close to the eardrum.

13. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

The lump of wax was almost out and the instrument nowhere near the eardrum. It was just a question of getting it out intact. No need for sedation.

I've had my ears syringed a couple of times, it used to be done with a big syringe of warm water but now they have a pump that shoots pulses of warm water into your ear. It's a strangely pleasant feeling and nurses seem not averse to a bit of smutty inuendo.

raleighnut and tom73 like this.
  14. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

So you've had it in the ear before?

Fnaar and NorthernDave like this.
  15. midlife

midlife Veteran

Specsavers now do ear vacuuming, not cheap though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice