Ear Candling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
@Heltor Chasca you are right wax is a natural defence and on the whole not an issue in fact wax production is all part of a good ear health.
So I have just referred the matter to Mrs 73 and been informed why it can be a problem.

1st off too much wax can effect hearing which most will understand but more to it than just that.
If wax build's up , new wax form's on top of the old. The old wax then become's hard and lead's to a build up of pressure which then may lead to a perforated ear drum. Which can then lead to other issues.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My mum has just been to the Doctors to see about this - but was indeed told to go to Specsavers by the surgery

Wonder if Specsavers send staff to the counties top ear care centre for training like most of the NHS counter parts ?

Given the service I've received from Specsavers recently I wouldn't let them hoover a carpet, let alone my ears.
Boots also offer the service, but it's still heinously expensive.

Fortunately our GP practice offer a removal service, should I need it. And the nurse there also recommends a couple of drops of olive oil as a first option to remove it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I do the same now. Drop olive oil in every day for a week then give the lug 'ole a few blasts with a lab pipette full of warm water. You can only do this to yourself because only you can judge how far you've gone with the nozzle.

Mrs PTP mentioned this to me tonight, and showed me a video of how it works, as she reckons I need to stop sticking cotton buds in my lugs.

The video makes it look as if she's maybe just planning on setting fire to me. But if she fails in that and does it properly maybe it will be a good thing.

Anyone got any experience of this?
Have you not thought about just sticking a finger in and hooking it out like normal people do. Just wash it between nose and ear.

Similar to Globalti; I put olive oil in mine for a few days to soften the wax then give them a gentle squirt out with warm water from a syringe. As long as you don't go poking cotton buds in your lugholes the wax should come out on it's own but some people (like me) seem to produce an excessive amount that builds up until it blocks your hearing if you don't do anything about it.
Don't some jungle (not sure which one) tribes stick a big grub in there that eats it?

Dave7

Legendary Member
When Mrs Dave had that problem I told her to trust me.
I squirted WD 40 down her left lughole then got her to lie on a pillow. I then smacked on the right lughole to force the offendind wax out.
It didnt work but I really enjoyed it.

Top Bottom