Ear Candling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The lump of wax was almost out and the instrument nowhere near the eardrum. It was just a question of getting it out intact. No need for sedation.

I've had my ears syringed a couple of times, it used to be done with a big syringe of warm water but now they have a pump that shoots pulses of warm water into your ear. It's a strangely pleasant feeling and nurses seem not averse to a bit of smutty inuendo.
Moved on from the pump to the vacuum. Found that the pump caused quite a lot of eardrum damage

In Asia you can have earwax removal as an additional service when you have a foot massage. A white uniformed lady with a headtorch comes in and has a look in your ears. Then she gets some instrument or other and proceeds to VERY carefully scrape out the wax. Like the pump, it isn't an altogether unpleasant experience

tom73

Guru
Mrs PTP mentioned this to me tonight, and showed me a video of how it works, as she reckons I need to stop sticking cotton buds in my lugs.

The video makes it look as if she's maybe just planning on setting fire to me. But if she fails in that and does it properly maybe it will be a good thing.

Anyone got any experience of this?

She right ear buds are a no , no. Few drop's of olive oil is all you need most of the time. If you think you need more than a quick call in to your local friendly Practice Nurse will tell you if you need more. I just ask Mrs 73 and her trusty otoscope.

PaulB

Legendary Member
So you've had it in the ear before?
Bet he's got a Lust for Life.

midlife

Guru
My mum has just been to the Doctors to see about this - but was indeed told to go to Specsavers by the surgery

Last time I checked it was £37 an ear, I waited for the nurse practitioner in ENT instead and saved £150 between me and the youngest.....

tom73

Guru
My mum has just been to the Doctors to see about this - but was indeed told to go to Specsavers by the surgery

Wonder how many CCG's have stoped funding it? Can't help but think if Doctors did them they would soon fund it if a mate was willing to provide it.

lane

Veteran
Wonder if Specsavers send staff to the counties top ear care centre for training like most of the NHS counter parts ?

Knowing someone who sometimes works for them, and their opinion of them, I would very much doubt it.

Top Bottom