Early morning waking-what is your technique for getting back to sleep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I put the radio on a chat station at a very low volume so I have to really strain to listen to it but I force myself to listen and follow the conversation.
It doesn't matter what is being talked about. Whether the subject is boring or interesting, more often than not I drop off. If not, at least l know whats going on in the world.

slowwww

Veteran
Happens 2-3 times a week for me, and I take myself off the spare bedroom where I've usually got a book on the go that is interesting but not exciting. I tend to find that after 20 minutes or so I start to fight my eyelids, or drop the book, and then roll over as gently as possible and turn the light off.

However, the waking up is often due to a seemingly insoluble issue at work that is playing on my subconscious, and I often find that while lying in the dark with no other stimulation some inspirational resolution comes to me, and so I try to embrace this as a positive rather than get frustrated by it.

Salar

A fish out of water
Pick a large number say 500 and keep deducting 7 from it.

Remember the final answer before it goes minus and try again, you'll either fall asleep or get a different answer. So start again............. pick a large number say 500 and .............zzzzzz

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Visualising happy things helps me.

Consciously turning my mind away from work as I had to do at 0040 this morning (it felt more like 0400 but I made the mistake of looking at the clock). I pictured my open Browning shotgun, 2 cartridges going in, gun closing, up and at a pair of clays which burst in the sky like a starburst. Eject and enjoy the smell of success.. I'm usually asleep before pulling the trigger !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just get up and post drivel on here, works for me. :whistle:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Visualising happy things helps me.

Consciously turning my mind away from work as I had to do at 0040 this morning (it felt more like 0400 but I made the mistake of looking at the clock). I pictured my open Browning shotgun, 2 cartridges going in, gun closing, up and at a pair of clays which burst in the sky like a starburst. Eject and enjoy the smell of success.. I'm usually asleep before pulling the trigger !

I used to use a Browning for clay shooting, fabulous gun really nice balance.

Mate had a Baretta which I also liked a lot

Top Bottom