Early starts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I hate early starts, thankfully they are rare for me, but, truly, cycling in the small hours, between 2am and 6am, is magical.

videoman

Guru
I work for myself, have no set hours, get there when I want and my ind. unit is 10 miles away from home but I still have problems motivating myself to go on my bike!

OP
OP
Carryonmike

Carryonmike

I was fine during the summer. Happy to ride in 5 days a week. Coming home in the afternoon, I can ride along the Thames through rainham marshes, it's a really pleasant ride. It's just these cold dark mornings make me wanna jump in the car. Tommorow I'll be up at 5 for an early morning 3 hour ride regardless of rain or cold. will make more effort to commute more before the really cold weather kicks in.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
When I cycle on earlys I leave at 4:20 !
Takes about 50 mins for the 20 kms commute.

Best time of day for riding & the advent of decent/more powerful front lights has made it a lot easier 8-)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
On the occasions I lie in and drive I always regret it, driving is ever more hateful.

TBH its not the commute time that catches me, its the getting to work and having to clean up & change again before booking on.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I only have a short commute, so it takes me exactly the same amount of time whether I go by bike or by tram. If it wasn't for the fact that I work with my wife, I'd ride in every day.

clid61

Veteran
12 hour shifts 7 till 7 , up at 5, if not before , porrridge and a scrambled egg , out of door 5.30 - love the calm of a dark start before the storm lol . Mostly i take my time and enjoy the serenity of less traffic , the night sky fading to day .Reach work at about 6.10 ,shower change into work cloths , more porridge - set up for the day ahead and a blast home at 7 pm !

DRHysted

Guru
Day shifts mean out the door by 4. I have always got out of bed the moment the alarm sounds, and have not used snooze (apparently recent studies show it's bad for you sleep pattern).
Also if I changed my mind I'd need to unpack the panniers, put the bike in the shed and lock it, then get the car out of the garden, which would probably add 15 minutes.
So alarm goes, get up, ablutions, cycle gear on, out the door.

On the occasions I lie in and drive I always regret it, driving is ever more hateful.

TBH its not the commute time that catches me, its the getting to work and having to clean up & change again before booking on.
I quite look forward to a hot shower at work, after a work out. Beats sitting in the car! I don't see it as a chore as I don't shower before I leave.

mustang1

Guru
I get up early. I get ready early. Bike is ready to roll. Then I start watching movies and stuff. If I discipline myself to leave on time then I ride. Or if I wanna watch more movies then it's the train.

And I always kick myself when I'm on the train.

Top Bottom