Early starts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Ed, I am a sailmaker.

I dont have a comfy office or a swivel chair. It hard graft with plenty of bending, pulling and destroying my knees.

But I am sure you can think of other excuses to take the car. Hard manual work isnt one of them though. In fact the ride in warms you up for work.

This is a set of our Sails. As you can imagine they take some dragging about.

imagejpg1_zps71b587b9.jpg
fair enough, not bad!
not trying to find excuses for driving rather than riding, i must admit i do like both but i would indeed prefer to ride in partially due to probably £7 a day in fuel (she will be thirsty!)
also my mum said no riding on a busy A road at 04:30 especially in winter, unfortunately my commute would have to take this A road for a certain distance
will see if i can get a bike rack cheaply i could drive in in the morning with bike on rack and then leave landy at work over the day and then drive home when i finally finish up at 19:00ish

that way i ride home at 10:00 and ride back to work at 13:30
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
fair enough, not bad!
not trying to find excuses for driving rather than riding, i must admit i do like both but i would indeed prefer to ride in partially due to probably £7 a day in fuel (she will be thirsty!)
also my mum said no riding on a busy A road at 04:30 especially in winter, unfortunately my commute would have to take this A road for a certain distance
will see if i can get a bike rack cheaply i could drive in in the morning with bike on rack and then leave landy at work over the day and then drive home when i finally finish up at 19:00ish

that way i ride home at 10:00 and ride back to work at 13:30
Cheers Ed
halve my commuting distance so i'm not dead after a month of work (the times will be enough to mess me up) and i please my mum whilst still getting some miles in and my fuel costs are slightly better (pretty much halved)
Cheers Ed

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Its an age thing.

My nephew who is 16 can stay in bed until 2 in the afternoon.

I am 56 and have a 12 mile ride to work which takes about an hour. My official starting time is 7am but I start when I like. Often at 4 or 5 in the morning. Which means to be in for 4am I need to be up at 2.30 to have a coffee, cereal and get ready. Its not a problem and in summer it is great. In fact in summer I often stop at the beach with my flask of coffee and cereal and have a swim and have breakfast and still get to work by 5 am.

Whichever way you do it. The only way is to go to bed earlier and force yourself to get up when the alarm rings.

When I am fitter and able to go for longer and the spring/summer rolls around again - this is something I'd like to do because I am only 10 miles from the coast and work is a few miles back up the other way. That would be awesome to see the sun come up on the beach then get to work for 7am!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ed, I am a sailmaker.

I dont have a comfy office or a swivel chair. It hard graft with plenty of bending, pulling and destroying my knees.

But I am sure you can think of other excuses to take the car. Hard manual work isnt one of them though. In fact the ride in warms you up for work.

This is a set of our Sails. As you can imagine they take some dragging about.

imagejpg1_zps71b587b9.jpg

Nice work but I doubt you spend all day every day dragging those about by hand.
I can extend my morning and evening rides to what ever I want and do a day in the work shop but having just done 34 miles a day for two days plus fitting windows on site I can tell you I was proper farked . Friday I was feeling almost dead and I slept most of Saturday .
Don't get me wrong , I know workshop work is also hard graft but you have a fixed base with home comforts no matter how bad they are . Site work knocks that extra little bit out of you although that yacht looks a lot nicer than any workshop ive seen :laugh:

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I too am finding the commute by car so hateful. Usually takes an hour to get in to work if I leave at 0500 -any later and it can be 3 hours or more. Getting home usually takes 2 and half hours although has taken 4 hours. We are only talking about 32 miles each way.
Public transport is no better - 2 hours each way with 4 changes and so flaming crowded it is not funny.
The plan is to start cycling from home to the station, on the train to Fenchurch Street, then ride to Isleworth from there. Would mean around 45 miles per day which may be slightly beyond me right now. Bit of effort will sort that out. I don't like the cold and wet really but I am going to have "man up".

In a previous job I commuted by bike but that was only 8 miles each way. Enjoyed it massively.

Hopefully Boris gets cracking with his crossrail cycle superhighway - it would suit me down to the ground. Come on Boris - get your finger out fella!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nice work but I doubt you spend all day every day dragging those about by hand

Thats an interesting thought. Whatever sail I make it is all done by hand. We dont have any lifting gear. Its all manual work all day every day. even 8 hours on a sewing machine sewing sails is tough on the body.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Yeah , I bet those thimbles get really heavy after a while :laugh:

BigAl68

Über Member
4am alarm goes off. Downstairs for a pot of coffee and a bit of the news, 4.30 bathroom etc, 4.50 to 5am get out on the bike. 17 miles to work Monday to Thursday every week rain or shine. I couldn't do anything else anymore as every other option costs far too much and I love my cycling.

potsy

Rambler
12 hour shifts 7 till 7 , up at 5, if not before , porrridge and a scrambled egg , out of door 5.30 - love the calm of a dark start before the storm lol . Mostly i take my time and enjoy the serenity of less traffic , the night sky fading to day .Reach work at about 6.10 ,shower change into work cloths , more porridge - set up for the day ahead and a blast home at 7 pm !
Same shifts here, am finding it increasingly difficult to get of of bed early and cycle in though, 9 mile each way commute which I'm probably averaging doing every other one these days.
I imagine it will only get worse as the weather gets colder?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
4am alarm goes off. Downstairs for a pot of coffee and a bit of the news, 4.30 bathroom etc, 4.50 to 5am get out on the bike. 17 miles to work Monday to Thursday every week rain or shine. I couldn't do anything else anymore as every other option costs far too much and I love my cycling.
Same start time and distances for me, but what puts me off other transport options is more the boredom than the cost. Oh yes: and the sharing of flu germs with other commuters.

Berties

Fast and careful!
All this talk about 4.30, are you telling me there is more than one 4.30 in a day?
I am a late night person and work past 11 most nights,and find it hard to get out on the road by 8.15

Top Bottom