Early starts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Nope, love riding my bike.. highlight of my day.. can't wait to get up and out the door for my 20 mile commute in.

But.. a 6am start.. damn.. that would be hard for anybody.
You get used to it. Have been on site at 6am most days recently . After ac10 mile ride in. It can be difficult but you adapt

Movies? Before setting off to work?
presumably he doesn't work 9-5...

dee.jay

Network Ninja
lightweights... when I start cycling to work on my dayshifts I'm up at 5:15am

When I drive in I'm quite lazy and get up at 6:00am. I usually am wide awake by 5:15, leave at 5:45, arrive at 6:30am and showered and ready to start at 7:00am for 12 hour day shift. By the time I get home and showered at the other end I've had a 14 hour day.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its an age thing.

My nephew who is 16 can stay in bed until 2 in the afternoon.

I am 56 and have a 12 mile ride to work which takes about an hour. My official starting time is 7am but I start when I like. Often at 4 or 5 in the morning. Which means to be in for 4am I need to be up at 2.30 to have a coffee, cereal and get ready. Its not a problem and in summer it is great. In fact in summer I often stop at the beach with my flask of coffee and cereal and have a swim and have breakfast and still get to work by 5 am.

Whichever way you do it. The only way is to go to bed earlier and force yourself to get up when the alarm rings.

paul04

Über Member
I am a early morning person, awake most days before the alarm clock even goes off. got everything ready the night before. on the bike ready for work before the crazy drivers get up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On days i am at work for 6.30 am, just a 10 mile commute so i leave as bbc news is reviewing the papers on business news, why bbc ? no adverts ! .
Up at 5 .15 am and out the door asap .
On nights i do sometimes wimp out , mainly the second night if i do as my body clock is topsy turvey then im ok the rest of the week.

young Ed

Veteran
anyone commute at 04:30?
where i am starting next september i will have to be up at about 03:30 or 04:00 to ride in 5 miles at 04:30 to be there at about round about 05:00 then home again at about 10:00 and then back in at 14:00 and then home again at about 19:00

a massively messed up day, and i think once i'm 17 and driving i may well commute in behind the wheel
Cheers Ed

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
where i am starting next september i will have to be up at about 03:30 or 04:00 to ride in 5 miles at 04:30 to be there at about round about 05:00 then home again at about 10:00 and then back in at 14:00 and then home again at about 19:00

a massively messed up day, and i think once i'm 17 and driving i may well commute in behind the wheel
Cheers Ed

Ed,

Read my post above. Leave the car at home and ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Cheers Ed

Keep to the bike.
Forget the motor, lest you end up like MatthewT

young Ed

Veteran
Ed,

Read my post above. Leave the car at home and ride.
do you mind if i ask what you work as?
just in the job i am going for it is heavy manual labour and a very active job, fair enough if i could get to work and have a shower and then sit in an air conditioned office all day in a nice squishy office chair
but 20 miles a day plus about a 10 hour day of manual labour 5-7 days a week might be pushing it for me
Keep to the bike.
Forget the motor, lest you end up like MatthewT
will keep riding for training and because i love it but 4 wheels will be for practical purposes, could you post a vid of yourself pulling a 1.5 ton sheep trailer on your bike? or carrying a few hundred kg of steel sheep race?
Cheers Ed

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ed, I am a sailmaker.

I dont have a comfy office or a swivel chair. It hard graft with plenty of bending, pulling and destroying my knees.

But I am sure you can think of other excuses to take the car. Hard manual work isnt one of them though. In fact the ride in warms you up for work.

This is a set of our Sails. As you can imagine they take some dragging about.

imagejpg1_zps71b587b9.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom