Early Warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

We live up in the welsh hills where several minor rivers rise. We have our own water supply our spring and stream are nearly dry,and our bore holes show the water table is as low as it has been for 7 years,but, not in the midddle of June:ohmy: last time it was August. If we dont get some significant rain this summer there will be water shortages, me thinks.

wafflycat

In my neck of the woods the stream at the end of the garden is very low. Same here - it's normally August when it's this low.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We've been getting far too little rain almost every month for over a year now (excluding last July and Nov - which went the opposite way). This year the local weather station to me gives Feb as the month with the greatest rain so far with 55.6 mm and the lowest being May with 20 mm.

Our porch door sticks if the ground gets too dry and we keep having to water it (well the ground around it), so that we can get in and out of the house!

Arch

Married to Night Train
lukesdad said:
If we dont get some significant rain this summer there will be water shortages, me thinks.

I predict there will be significant rain somewhere, alas, it'll result in flash floods, destruction etc. That seems to be happening on a regular basis these days - just a different place each year.

(well, it's already happened in France this year, of course).

My workplace isn't on the mains, so we run the risk of running out of water altogether when it's too dry, and have to drink bottled.

I was in touch with SEPA to discuss reservoir discharges into a river in which I'll be working (don't want a sudden large discharge while we are in it) and they advised it is most unlikely as the river is officially down to drought levels.

al78

Guru
The weather patterns in the N Atlantic have been stuck in a blocked regime for months now. Blocking highs have been regularly forming to our west, diverting the normally wet westerlies down into southern Europe and regularly leaving the UK under a cool northerly airstream, hence the dry, sunny but rather mediocre temperatures experienced during the spring.

Alas the outlook is for this to persist through most of the summer.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hooray! We get FAR too much rain so a spell without is right up my street.

The last time we had a significant drought, I remember it was referred to as 'the war of the hoses' as some Lancashire reservoirs were donating water to dryer Yorkshire ones. I well remember some graffiti I saw that read, 'Yorkshiremen. Are you enjoying the water from Lancashire reservoirs? 'Cos I've been pissing in it.' Which made me laugh.

Crankarm

Guru
PaulB said:
Hooray! We get FAR too much rain so a spell without is right up my street.

The last time we had a significant drought, I remember it was referred to as 'the war of the hoses' as some Lancashire reservoirs were donating water to dryer Yorkshire ones. I well remember some graffiti I saw that read, 'Yorkshiremen. Are you enjoying the water from Lancashire reservoirs? 'Cos I've been pissing in it.' Which made me laugh.

Perhaps your joy at the current low rainfall will change when your property starts subsiding as the ground has shrunk so much around the foundations.

It is really dry. The garden has huge cracks in the flower beds and the earth has next to no moisture in it save what I have put in.

Crankarm

Guru
Arch said:
I predict there will be significant rain somewhere, alas, it'll result in flash floods, destruction etc. That seems to be happening on a regular basis these days - just a different place each year.

(well, it's already happened in France this year, of course).

My workplace isn't on the mains, so we run the risk of running out of water altogether when it's too dry, and have to drink bottled.

That is the nature of the weather. As to it happening more frequently I don't think so. It's just that it is reported more often.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Perhaps your joy at the current low rainfall will change when your property starts subsiding as the ground has shrunk so much around the foundations.

It is really dry. The garden has huge cracks in the flower beds and the earth has next to no moisture in it save what I have put in.

No, that won't happen. And even if it does, I'll just pitch my 'property' somewhere else. We ALWAYS have too much rain, so the reduction in it has to be viewed positively. Which is nice.

Davidc

Guru
We have years of exces and years of drought - just have to put up with it.

What Arch says is ususally right though. Once the ground is really dry it doesn't take the water up well when it comes, so next good downpour there's a flood.

(And then the weather stays wet so we get more floods!)

At least it's good weather for outdoor activities, including cycling.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
PaulB said:
No, that won't happen. And even if it does, I'll just pitch my 'property' somewhere else. We ALWAYS have too much rain, so the reduction in it has to be viewed positively. Which is nice.

Do you mean particularly where you live? We've only had 2 spells of real rain in 2 or 3 months.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I pass some big reservoirs on my way to and from work and the lowest of them is now half empty. The brook that runs under our house is a trickle. A bloke in a nearby street waters his lawn every evening, it's surrounded with stupid evergreens so all the water will be being sucked up and evaporated. Muppet.

Well it makes a change from the usual being stuck in a cyclonic weather pattern.

I'll be ringing my dad for father's day so I'll check with him too.He works for one of the regional water boards and deals with reservoirs directly.

Top Bottom