Earthquake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Just another car alarm.

surfgurl

Magnitude4.7Date-TimeLocation53.321°N, 0.314°WDepth10 km (6.2 miles) set by location programRegionENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOMDistances50 km (30 miles) S of Kingston upon Hull, England, UK
70 km (45 miles) NE of Nottingham, England, UK
80 km (50 miles) E of Sheffield, England, UK
205 km (125 miles) N of LONDON, United Kingdom

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We felt it in Leeds. Sounds really stupid now but I thought it was the wind as we had really strong winds last night. We were asleep but it felt like the whole building shook, the wardrobe doors rattled!

Amazing!

wafflycat

Felt it in Norfolk. I was woken, as was Mr Wafflycat. There was a low but loud rumbling, and the house shook for a second or so. Yes, heard the internal 'crack' of stuff moving. Poor Waffles refused to budge from my side for the rest of the night, but the two boycats were utterly unconcerned. I immediately put the TV news on, as I wondered if it was an earthquake or another Buncefield, as I was woken by that noise in 2005

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
This has been good grounds for sticking it to my German colleagues. They had a 4 point something earthquake on the Richter scale in the Saarland a couple of days ago, nobody injured. It was however a tacky sort of earthquake being the result of coalmining operations in the region. I have been able to point out that ours was:

a. Natural i.e. the real thing.

b. Bigger on the Richter scale.

c. We managed to get somebody injured.

They are all now having a think to see if they can manage some sort of Teutonic one upmanship.

Keep up the good work UK!!

ASC1951

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
This has been good grounds for sticking it to my German colleagues.

They are all now having a think to see if they can manage some sort of Teutonic one upmanship.
Teutonic Plates Uber Alles?

We felt it in S Leics too - a few years ago we were only 5 miles from the epicentre of the dudley earthquake and that was far scarier. Furniture rocking backwards and forwards and banging on the wall, that kind of thing...interestingly also at 1am!

Top Bottom