East London Route Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I want to get up to Waltham Abbey from SE London. Early Saturday morning (before 8am) so traffic should be comparatively light.

I don't particularly want to do lots and lots of towpath. We did quite a bit of entering London from Cambridge on the FNRttC last year and it was a bit of a slog. However, I don't really mind it that much, especially if it means not getting killed to death. I'll be on 25mm Durano Plus which can manage a little bit of crappy surface.

I'm thinking I'll take the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, then up the Eastern side of the Isle of Dogs (A1206) then somehow get to Stratford: Possibly cross the A1261/Aspen Way at the massive roundabout at the top of the Isle of Dogs. Maybe cross the A12 at the big roundabout with the A118. However, I think that's the Bow Interchange which means Certain Death. Then to Stratford (is this CS2?)

North of Stratford doesn't look too bad. A112 to Leyton, sort of wiggle up to Chingford, home of Norman Tebbit, then a little bit more A112.

Any advice? Feel free to dismiss my route ideas above as rubbish, I only know the area from driving up the A12, which means I don't know it at all.

subaqua

What’s the point
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/G...2!1d0.002723!2d51.685034!3e1?hl=en&authuser=0

almost all off road using well surfaced canal towpaths that I ride regularly.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
The easy way is straight up from London Bridge on the A10 TO Waltham Cross then over to the Abbey before 8am you'll be flying up there.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/G...2!1d0.002723!2d51.685034!3e1?hl=en&authuser=0

almost all off road using well surfaced canal towpaths that I ride regularly.
Thanks!

Just one question, is this going to be incredibly annoying (both for me and other path users) having to stop every 10m to let another cyclist by or to squeeze past someone out walking their dog, or wait for a gaggle of pedestrians (who have every right to be there, gaggling) to de-gaggle, or avoid some boat tie-lines. My past experience of towpaths isn't great, and typically I'd choose roads.

I'm guessing that as these are shared use I'd need to estimate for for much slower progress than on the road (down to 10km/h ish).

subaqua

What’s the point
Thanks!

Just one question, is this going to be incredibly annoying (both for me and other path users) having to stop every 10m to let another cyclist by or to squeeze past someone out walking their dog, or wait for a gaggle of pedestrians (who have every right to be there, gaggling) to de-gaggle, or avoid some boat tie-lines. My past experience of towpaths isn't great, and typically I'd choose roads.

I'm guessing that as these are shared use I'd need to estimate for for much slower progress than on the road (down to 10km/h ish).

the estimate on google is longer than it will take , its quite quiet at the moment on the paths and ropes are not across the paths

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Only just seen this, but for the future; Chingford has a very steep hill up The Mount, so best avoided.
I would have gone A1055 (Morrisons Avenue) from Tottenham Hale. There is a cycle path next to the road and it is a lot straighter and less junctions than the A10.

Top Bottom