East Midlands Ride!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3tyretrackterry

An easy to find meeting spot would be the GO OUTDOORS store in Loughborough and then a run up to the Cloud trail or Hathern/Kegworth or Loughborough to Bradgate Park area would be an easy run to do

Good call on the Go Outdoors meet point - looks fairly equidistant between Notts-Leics and easy to get to.

As it must be about 15miles from the town centres at each end, I am wary of heading too far north or south from Loughborough in case the mileage grows too much for the return for people, but I guess it really depends on starting points...deanbmx will do 8 miles or so less than me if we do this kind of route for example.

I am going to call my limit at 60 for the day, so don't mind at all, whatever gets decided :-)

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
How many of you would be coming from Loughborough?

Would it not be better to start near where most people live and others can easily reach via public transport? We could have two groups I guess (one from Notts, one from LB) and meet at that place in the middle, then ride out elsewhere?

Howabouts meet at the trainstation of one and ride out to the other?

Can we get a show of hands of Nottingham residents and Loughborough residents? Any preference as to start point?

Nottingham resident here, prefer to start at Nottingham but happy to get train to LB and start there.

3tyretrackterry

Leicester here again not too fussed where we start but i have no transport and trains/buses dont do trikes
My plan was to meet at Loughborough and then choose a route by collective discussion quite happy to cycle as far as Nottingham though by the time i got back Home i would be close to the 50Mile thogh am prepared to do that

Velvet curtain and Steve52 i could meet you Birstall area and we could ride up together if that suits also if it is easier we could meet at Kegworth or Hathern both very easy to reach and there must be a cafe in one of them

TVC

Looks like I might be crying off, my cold is rapidly turning into a chest infection - bum
angry.gif

Zoiders

Longeaton train station.

It's slap bang between the two, has a large and quiet car park, plus it's on the right rail line for Loughs/Notts and derby - Derby being the connecting station for the west mids and north west as well.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Sorry got the wrong end of the stick ... Thought it was being suggested we meet halfway between lb and notts, and it's been pointed out to me there's no way we'd all be let on one train! 2 groups, one heading off from notts the other from leicester and meeting in loughborough sounds grand. Any idea how long it Will likely take both sides, and also how hilly it is?

@Jezston: South of Notts is fairly flat...but then again you live in a flattish part of Notts! It isn't the fens, but is nowhere near the moderate heights of the Great Notts ride either - you'll be fine on your 3 speed if you want.
@TMC, would you suggest the A60 south in a small group or reckon it would be more peaceful traffic wise to take it through Gotham and East Leake?
Not sure I like the sound of the A60, although some colleagues reckon it is ok, but then again they drive...

@Zoiders, Long Eaton is unnecessarily westwards considering people's locations and also the wrong side of the river (cue London style comments) Unless you are based near there and want to pop along?

@Velvet Curtain - Nooooo.....hot baths and beechams for 5 days solid - you'll (hopefully) be ok by then...maybe.

DeanBmx lives Clifton way so we can catch him on the way out of Notts.
Jezston lives The Park\Canning Circus way (according to the map, I ain't stalking you Jezston!) so perhaps the top of Canning Circus outside the Sir John Borlase Warren would be a good place for the first meet, especially since it is now a big paved area rather than a horrid junction. Not that a mile from the market square is a bother!

Perhaps the Old Market Square would be more central and easier to find if people don't know that area...

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Could meet there, although I live at the bottom of the park so it means starting with a hill climb ;) Nah it's fine, see you there.

Shall we say meet up at ... 11:30am which will give us time to find everyone then get to Loughborough in time for lunch, then go for a bit of a ride then head back?

Or would you prefer earlier / later?

Do bear in mind I like to go out Saturday night ;)

Could meet there, although I live at the bottom of the park so it means starting with a hill climb ;) Nah it's fine, see you there.

Shall we say meet up at ... 11:30am which will give us time to find everyone then get to Loughborough in time for lunch, then go for a bit of a ride then head back?

Or would you prefer earlier / later?

Do bear in mind I like to go out Saturday night ;)

11.30 outside the Sir John, grab Dean by 12 at Clifton (after meet and greet), Loughborough between 12.45 and 1.15 (Earlier if we are chasing TMC!),

Sounds perfick to me.

I'll be the one wearing a pink carnation...with a bike.

Top Bottom