East Riding 100 mile ride - February

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Time to start planning the February ton ride.

Planned route is Hull - Beverley - York - Selby - Hull

I'm struggling for free weekend dates in Feb but have the following free at the mo Sat 7th, Sun 8th & Sun 15th Feb, but I'd rather avoid the 15th cause I probably wont be home till around midnight on the Saturday :sad:

Anyone fancy coming along let me know what date suits you best & we'll sort it from there.

Cheers
Paul

PS nearer the time i'll post planned route & eta's for anyone wishing to join part way round & be warned, the last 2 rides i've organised have resulted in icy roads :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, although I'm unsure whether I'd do Hull - York -Selby and peel off on the A19 or whether to do the whole ride. Any weekend dates.

jay

I'd prefer Sat 7th...

Just as an aside - what do you guys take, how do you carry it etc?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
jay said:
I'd prefer Sat 7th...

Just as an aside - what do you guys take, how do you carry it etc?

We'll be stopping for a 'tea stop' somewhere along the way where you'll be able to eat & drink :laugh:
Maybe take some snacking food stuffs, dried fruit, flapjack etc
If the weather is changeable I'd take waterproofs for a long ride.
I usually take a lock, but rarely have to use it :biggrin:
I carry my stuff in a panier, others use large saddle bags but for a long ride I wouldn't recommend a ruck sack. I normally have some spare room if you've just got a bit of stuff to look after :blush:

jay

Cheers!

I reckon I should be ok with a saddle bag / frame bag combo and jersey pockets in that case.

I've just realised that the 7th is a week on sat, my new bike is still in bits on the floor and the furthest I've ever ridden a roadie bike is 12 miles on my SS Langster (albeit in 27 minutes). Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fine!

zacklaws

Guru
No chance for me on this one either, I'm working up Carlisle way for next couple of months, February and March. Will have my road bike with me though as it seems a good area for cycling

marinyork

Soltydog can I ask for some of the split average speeds?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not sure about ave speeds, it depends on peoples abilities, cause we wont leave anyone behind.
last week our ave speed was about 13.4mph, so would be aiming for something similar, although we were very steady for first couple of hours due to frozen roads, but if the weather men are right there could be more freezing weather on the way ;)
I'll try & sort out split times for various points along the route, although I'm not sure where will be best for tea stops ;)

marinyork

Soltydog said:
Not sure about ave speeds, it depends on peoples abilities, cause we wont leave anyone behind.
last week our ave speed was about 13.4mph, so would be aiming for something similar, although we were very steady for first couple of hours due to frozen roads, but if the weather men are right there could be more freezing weather on the way B)
I'll try & sort out split times for various points along the route, although I'm not sure where will be best for tea stops :hyper:

No I'm just interested to see if I can do it. I have no desire to hold people up or have people zoom off into the sunset and feel bad about it and I ride solo apart from a few social rides I do but they are easy 9mph jobs and not really comparable to anything serious. I thought you'd said 13.5mph. I'm not the fastest of cyclists. My average speed round Sheffield, Peaks and Derbyshire isn't anything like 13.5mph. The last time I cycled round there was the vale of York in December where I was doing 12.6mph for about 50 miles with clobber and a painful knee. I did 12.7mph for the first 50mph yesterday but that was fairly hilly and a lot of traffic lights. I'm not really sure. Always liked the wolds though.

No weather doesn't look too good at the moment does it :eek:.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The 13.5 was on a flat route, with no real hills to mention. Just tuck in behind me, you'll be fine, apparently I make a good windbreak B)

ASC1951

Guru
marinyork said:
My average speed round Sheffield, Peaks and Derbyshire isn't anything like 13.5mph.
Yes, but that's Himalayan compared with the Goole Mudflats and as Solty says you can just tuck in behind - about ten years ago I did a 100 miler in exactly 5 hours, being dragged round at the back of a dozen Texans. Whenever I tried to do a bit at the front the speed dropped by a third, until I was told that while they didn't mind me having a free tow they surely did mind me getting in their way.

I do need to do a 100 in February to preserve my slot on Rob S's list, so if the Saturday forecast looks ok I would be interested. Might even give the fixie its first outing of the year. I could tuck in behind Mary.

Top Bottom