East Riding 100 mile ride - January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
marinyork said:
I've always wanted to go to spurn point and never got to as I never went on a biology field trip.

I went on one once with a certain Janet D****** .............golf links, after dark, warm night. I still remember everything I learned that night.

Isn't education wonderful??:wacko::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
Soltydog said:
It's looking likely to be the weekend, either Sat 24th or Sun 25th.
Still working on the route but will use the holderness loop which runs down by Sunk Island, Withersea areas & then we'll be heading north, but maybe not as far as Brid. Need to plot the route & mileage to make sure its 100 & not too much more :smile:
Off work for 15 days now, so should get chance to finalise the route v soon :smile:

Do you know which day yet? I have an idea to come over from Leeds by train and if it is Sunday I can't get into Hull before about 10.30 and I guess by that time you would expect to be well on the way.
Saturday I can get into Hull before 8.30.

I can drive over but apart from the cost of fuel I think it will take longer. Mind you if anyone else is coming from over here we could split the cost of the diesel.

Let me know as soon as you have finalised the details and I can make arrangements.

Thanks.

Think I'll be working so unfortunately not able to join you for any (modest) part of it.
If I've read the route correctly the Hull -Hedon section you have it on the cycle path. Once it reaches the Hull boundary it's quite rough and probably mtb territory most of the year. You can tell blindfolded where the 'border' is by the bump.

zacklaws

Guru
I toyed with the idea of joining the ride but I will be working that weekend anyway.

I was a bit corncerned about my fitness side too as I have not done much this past two months as it always seemed to rain and if it did'nt then everywhere was icy on my days off. To confirm my fitness went out on a 80 mile run today around the Humber From Molescroft to Goole, down along the Trent and cross at the first Bridge and back through Flixborough, through all the little villages towards Barton, across Humber Bridge and back to Molescroft, 6 Hours and 3 minutes in total. The first 44 miles though was headwind most of the time which slowed me down a bit.

In probability I would manage 100 but as I had set off at 0830 it would probably mean finishing close to dark or just after.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
colly said:
Do you know which day yet? I have an idea to come over from Leeds by train and if it is Sunday I can't get into Hull before about 10.30 and I guess by that time you would expect to be well on the way.
Saturday I can get into Hull before 8.30.

I can drive over but apart from the cost of fuel I think it will take longer. Mind you if anyone else is coming from over here we could split the cost of the diesel.

Let me know as soon as you have finalised the details and I can make arrangements.

Thanks.

We'll make it the saturday then & you can come via train if that's better for you. It makes no odds to me either way :sad: Leeds/Hull return is approx £20 on train, unless you book in advance/online then you should get it quite a bit cheaper :sad:
I think the trains from Leeds arrive approx 40mins past the hour, so we'll hang on for the 8.40 arrival at Hull on the Saturday morning
I'll sort a new route out, avoiding the rough sections of cycle track & taking in Spurn Point & hopefully it wont be too windy on the day :sad:

colly

Re member eR
Thanks Soltydog I appreciate that. I'll book my tickets in the morning.
Do you have any idea on what time we are likely to be back in Hull......... 4.30 ish ? I ask because I may need to specifiy which train i am getting back so I can get the best deal. I may be able to get any train which would be better.
Whatever I'll sort it out in the morning.

Never taken my bike by train anywhere. Any tips or things to watch out for?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
colly said:
Never taken my bike by train anywhere. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Look out for any dodgy looking characters eyeing your bike up :smile:

Used Trans Pennine trains a few times with my bike & they are quite good. No need to book your bike in advance or to find the guard, just wheel in on yourself & there's a bike storage area just by the loo, near the middle of the two coaches.
Not sure if you are coming from Leeds station or smaller station outsde Leeds, but tickets will be cheaper from leeds to Hull & then buy a seperate ticket from elsewhere to Leeds (hope that makes sense) Also buy a single each way, rather than a return :tongue:
Spoke to a friend yesterday who travels Hull to Bradford regularly & gets Hull - leeds for £5 each way booking in advance ;)

colly

Re member eR
It seems I can get a return Leeds/Hull for £10 which I think is pretty good.
The only drawback is that I need to specifiy which train I will be returning on.
But thats ok. Just gives me an incentive to get moving and not dawdle about.:biggrin:

They don't make it easy though do they?

I looked online yesterday and could find no reference to taking bikes.

I tried calling but no response.

I called in at my local travel agent and they didn't know either.

I was in Leeds center last night so I called into the main station and asked about getting the ticket and a bike. They had no idea about the bike and said the minimum charge from them was £20 !!!
If I booked online it would be £10. How daft is that?

Oh and I could call in at their 'Information Centre', book a cheaper ticket AND ask about the bike..............but they weren't open.

Bonkers!

I even checked through the TransPennine web site but no mention of cycles and no search facility either.

No wonder people drive everywhere!

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've done a revised route here
It's not quite 100 miles, but I'll add a short detour somewhere enroute, unless we get lost & accidentally add some miles :smile:
I've followed the TPT from Hornsea back to Hull, but went on part of the trail this morning & some parts were quite muddy, so depending on peoples machines I can change that to a road route back into Hull if prefered.

Leaving Hull along Hedon road we'll use the cycle path, it should be fairly quiet on saturday morning :smile:

Not sure if there will be many tea stops enroute with it being the weekend, but should be ok in Withernsea & Mappleton :smile: but some people may want to bring extra rations (you know who you are :tongue:)

Weather Forecast for Saturday looks ok, cool & maybe a little windy

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
colly said:
It seems I can get a return Leeds/Hull for £10 which I think is pretty good.
The only drawback is that I need to specifiy which train I will be returning on.
But thats ok. Just gives me an incentive to get moving and not dawdle about.:tongue:

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think the ticket is specific for a certain train, but your seat reservation is for a certain train. I believe you can actually travel on any train & if you cant & miss your specific train, I'll have a word with the crew on the required train :smile:

ASC1951

Guru
Soltydog said:
if you cant & miss your specific train, I'll have a word with the crew on the required train :biggrin:
I had an extreme example of this some years ago.

I had lugged my laden bike up the embankment on to the dual carriageway Bosphorus Bridge from Istanbul over to, well, Asia. The short cut meant that I hadn't seen the signs that it was Vehicles Only, so it was only 100 yards further before I was arrested. The guard must have been a cyclist - he just stepped out in front of a half empty fruit wagon, stuck his sub-machinegun under the driver's nose and demanded, "You! Take this man and his bicycle across the bridge!"

That's what I call service.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Just wanted to wish you all luck for tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you as I have a nice gentle stroll rounds the Wolds instead:biggrin:.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Cheers Helen, I think with the weather forecast we may need a bit of luck, can get a bit breezy round Sunk Island & Spern at the best of times :blush:

I'm just about all set, got my layers ready, given the bike a once over & baking some buns to fuel the ride :blush:

Just a quick reminder we are meeting by the main station entrance, under cover, at 8.30am for a prompt (depending on Colly's train arrival;)) start & hopefully finish before dark, although i am taking my lights.
See you in the morning

paul

Top Bottom