Easton wheel problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Some of you may have read I had a problem with a broken spoken and buckled wheel that I was trying to fix with little joy. Anyways I took it to the LBS today and the guy said there was an article on Bikeradar about Cube's Easton wheels not taking weight of over 80kilos. I can't find the article, but On cubes website it says there is no weight limit.
I'm well over 100kg and am thinking now about selling the Easton wheelset and replacing with ???
LBS guy said something about Fulcrum entry wheel for £120 ???
Any advice guys:sad:

if you're 100kg+ then it's well worth spending some money on a set of handbuilts with a high spoke count. 'Entry-level' wheels will probably not cut it...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Fulcrum wheels do feel particularly strong for entry level wheels, but they too are fairly low on spoke count arent they? It's quite bad that I dont know since I have a pair (Racing 7 is the entry level right?), lol.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I just feel fat now :laugh:
I'm 6'4 so I'm not that big, I did like the Easton wheel a noticeable difference from what I was used to. Mavic askium seem to get good reviews and seem a good price?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
At the end of the day, if you're quite heavy... I'd suggest a 36h handbuilt rear and even then there's no guarantee you won't bust spokes. However, if this happens you can tweak the adjacent ones and finish the ride, with a 36h wheel. Try doing that with a set of Aksiums and see how far you get :tongue: I speak from experience of both situations BTW :laugh:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'm 6'4 so I'm not that big, I did like the Easton wheel a noticeable difference from what I was used to. Mavic askium seem to get good reviews and seem a good price?

I have just switched out the Eastons you get as stock on CUBE road bikes, with my Aksiums on the Streamer. The Mavics are a much better wheel, IMHO. Fulcrum R7 are ok but not particularly strong, in my experience.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Well I had the Easton wheel trued and being cheap thought I'd see how things went.

Did'nt do 50miles and Mrs B was called out for emergency rescue again this morning :sad:

So been looking about and Fulcrum 5's seem to be okay under 110kg, I can get these from shinybikes for under £180.........needs to be a cash payment to hide the costs from her good self.
What cost would a 36 spoke handmade rear be, approx?

Cheers Sean

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ballpark £120 - 160, imho.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Mavic askium seem to get good reviews and seem a good price?

I am not as heavy as yourself, 6'1" and around 14.5 stone. The rear wheel on my Secteur that it came with was constantly going out of true, this was an Alexrim wheel. I have a feeling that this was not because of my weight but because the wheel was utter shite. I got the Aksiums and I have never had a single problem of any kind despite the lower spoke count. What the weight limit is for them I do not know.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the last word on spoke counts from the Santana website
07Beyond(e).jpg

http://santanatandem.com/Techno/WheelStrength.html

e-rider

crappy member
Easton wheels are well known for breaking spokes whatever the riders weight! Mavic Aksiums are certainly NOT a good choice for a heavy rider, nor are Fulcrum 7s or Shimano RS10 or RS20s.
A good quality pair of handbuilt wheels with 36 spokes would suit a heavy rider best if they are not racing. Make sure the spokes and rims are top quality though, and built by a decent builder! £200 should do it.

Mavic Open Pro or Mavic CXP33 rims (not CXP22)
DT Swiss DB (competition) spokes with brass nipples
Shimano 105 or Ultegra hubs

If you are keen on budget factory wheels, you could consider a pair of Campagnolo Scirocco wheels available for campag or shimano cassettes - these cost about £200 a pair and are fairly good.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Thanks all, that's great advice:thumbsup:
Not had internet for a couple of days and was getting frustrated at not being able to look for alternatives.

Top Bottom