Easy peasy off road but loooong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Do the 127 mile of the Liverpool to Leeds canal. Its flat , off road ,plenty of places to stay en route and can be done in aas manydays as you like

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
See that pic under "Back Cover"? That's not easy peasy.

Myself and some friends have just started MTB and are using these books, their based on OS maps and have quite detailed notes about what to expect. This is just the Peak Distict one but they go around the country.

DPcover075.jpg

PS Amazon has them for around £11

Cubist

Still wavin'
Maybe not, but a W Yorks MTB guide is going to feature some TRUE gnarrrrcore. :becool: Books for other areas feature some more easygoing stuff from bridlecore to mincecore lite. Whereabouts are you?

There's 25+ routes in the book, all graded. They also mark the hard descents/ascents with arrows like these >>. As a guide we just about managed >> red descents but couldn't do >> black descents.

I

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Drop onto Dovestones res and start on the paths round there. Follow the trail //ell to the 635- not too testing up and it'll tell you when to turn around and go back down. Fast and fun but not testing. Take it from there. I can even meet you on a sunday morning if you like.

PM me if interested.

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
Ah. Anywhere in mainland UK - coz it's for big weekends away with me mates. The pic is of the Hebrides, bit distant. Obviously places with big hills like that are few, but need to feel slightly adventurous.

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
Ooo. I've moved away, but my mates still live in Cheshire, so in fact this Dovestone malarkey could be handy. Will def investigate further.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Try the Pennine Bridleway. There will be places you have to push or carry, but that's par for the course if you want natural off road. Otherwise there's the Trans Pennine Trail, Leeds Liverpool, , Rochdale Canal.
For a natural feel without the tech fest I would suggest the Dales. Big wide bridle ways and limestone grassland trails. Again, there will be places to test and challenge, but the open spaces and wild feel will be there. Similarly the N Yorks Moors. The old Iron Railway routes around Pickering, Whitby, etc all great epic rides.

Last edited:
Do the 127 mile of the Liverpool to Leeds canal. Its flat , off road ,plenty of places to stay en route and can be done in aas manydays as you like

Although at the moment this trail has about a million puddles, mainly near Wigan and Skipton, and the highest section has long energy and will sapping sections of grass with no hard trail to ride on.

I rode it yesterday as it was on my to do list, although I didn't race and used my bell to give plenty of warning (no one was upset) I set off from Liverpool at 7.30am and arrived at the end in Leeds just before 5pm.

With the tunnel detours and a missed canal crossing near Blackburn I clocked it at 135.6 miles with just 523ft of climbing, my average speed was 14.3mph and I took 9hours 29mins and 6secs (according to Strava)

Top Bottom