Easy to fit clincher tyres - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
I need a new 700cx28 tyre to fit on my semi-aero front wheel. As i get older (!) i seem to be finding it harder to fit my tyres on to their rims; those last few inches are murder! I've recently struggled with Continental GP 4 seasons and Vittoria Rubino Pros, both of which are folding tyres. I assume these are easier to fit than wired? Unfortunately i also seem to be picking up punctures more and more frequently, the latest being a rip in the sidewall of my Rubino Pro.

Anyway, i'm wondering what recommendations people might have for a good quality tyre that can be fitted with minimum effort? Apologies if this has been covered many times before - a link to a useful thread would be equally appreciated.

Thanks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The problem is that it's often a combo of wheel and tyre that is difficult/easy. So I'm not making any suggestions because I don't have semi-aero wheels, nor do I have a particularly wide experience of different tyres. But it might be worth investing in one of the many gizmos that are supposed to make this easier.

Velochris

Über Member
As above, it can be the rim as much as the tyre, as well as technique.

I've had most brands over the years. The only tyre I could not get on with my hands was a Michelin Endurance.

For general recommendations I always found Veloxflex and the older Vittoria tyres some of the easiest. I note the Vittoria Pave are 27mm and on Wiggle for a reasonable price, cheaper than when I used them every winter 15-20 years ago.

Not the ultimate puncture protection but about the best all round winter (and used I summer as well) tyre I used.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Jameshow

Veteran
i found wiggle own brand tyres like riding with the brakes rubbing , tests posted by cycling weekly confirmed my thoughts 5-7 watts more even compared to zaffiros

Interesting...

Which model?

Race ones are lighter than conti ultra sports for the same price.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Interesting...

Which model?

Race ones are lighter than conti ultra sports for the same price.

the race ones :smile:
ultra sports were 10 watts at 24 kph , at 40 kph 20 watts
the prime race 17.5 watts , at 40 kph 30 watts
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group...on-best-budget-road-bike-tyres-for-the-summer

The strength you need to get some tyres on is ridiculous. Gatorskins onto DT Swiss rims the worst, honestly thought i had broken something (me, not the wheels).
GP5000 onto Eastons a piece of cake.
Its the combination thats the key, like those poor BTwin owners who had serious problems.

Top Bottom