Easy to fit clincher tyres - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you put enough in on installation, its still there if you get a visit from the puncture fairy 😜

depends how many times it rains :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Talc inner of tyre and tube. Just had a set that were a bit of a pig to fit, not so much tight, but they kept popping off the rim as Imoved round the wheel. Folding tyre with a stiff puncture strip in tyre, and cold.

Warm the tyres too,

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Ãœber Member
Thanks very much for all the suggestions. On reflection, my difficulties really started when i recently bought a set of Mavic Cosmic Elite UST wheels and i was wondering myself if it was a question of the combination rather than just the tyres. Comments here seem to confirm this. I fitted a spare (new) rigid Schwalbe Marathon tyre today and it went on easier than the folding Vittoria. I used more liberal amounts of talc than usual and i may well treat myself to a set of the VAR levers, which look quite natty.

Interestingly, having adjusted the front brakes i checked the rears and found they were binding considerably at the valve point. I thought at first that i had warped the wheel somehow, but actually the Continental GP that i fitted new a few months ago was bulging at that point; the bead was not seated properly. I think i would have noticed this amount of rubbing after i repaired a puncture a few weeks ago, so i guess it must have happened during use. Very recently i'm guessing as i've been finding myself more than usually knackered after a short ride!

Anyway, i've refitted it (at 180deg to before) taking particular care to seat it well near the valve and it seems OK for now. I guess we're entering maintenance and repairs territory, but i'd be interested in any observations.

Top Bottom