Easy to get confused by expert cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have done a lot of reading on the next bike I wish to buy. My budget is £1500 max and, according to expert cyclists, this is just entry level bikes and not worth looking at because they don't have the latest deraileurs/ train set/ carbon frames etc.....
I have no intention of entering any races, not bothered about losing a few grams here and there, don't wish to go from a to b as fast as possible, not interested in climbing 25% slopes.
Two of my bikes have aluminium frames with carbon forks and Claris gear change. My other one is full carbon and 105 gear change but I am happy with riding either of them.
I think those reviews by experts are designed to guide you to spend more money than you intend to really by playing on your ego so I will stick to my budget and am pretty sure I will get a very decent bike that will meet my needs and make me happy when I ride it.
Last night, I was watching a report on YouTube on bikes up to 1500 euros and the guy was rubbishlng them all, saying that no bike is worth buying unless you spend at least £3500 !!
Do you take much notice of experts when you look for a new ride?

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No

The mistake a lot of new riders make is buying either a "podium-ready" bike or a wannabe race bike. At the budget end , road bikes are rarely dedicated race bikes and need to adapt to winter rides, commutes or light touring.
If you expect "to medal" then enjoy the podium and get the best race bike you can but you will also need a winter hack bike.

Shimano components are generally durable and reliable even in lower groupsets.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Nope. Plenty of good bikes available at £1500. I take note of the recommendations from my LBS, read reviews and make a decision. Within reason I'm not fussed about cost, the real question is will it do the job?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

. Well, the bike I am interested in is the Trek al3 with disc brakes at £995. I like the look of it and answers all my needs. As soon as they have one in stock in my Lbs , I will go and have a proper look at it, with my wife's blessings too. ^_^

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's all relative I suppose. I have one bike, a tourer. It does that brilliantly it is also daily transport, shopper, trailer towing for bigger stuff and everything in between. I buy the best I can afford when replacing things. Had it 15 years so far. The experts in magazines have no relevance to me as a daily bike rider.

The reviews depend on manufacturers and distributors sending samples for reviews. If they are not done to their satisfaction, the reviewers are on their blacklist. GCN has a broad appeal so they can be more objective. None however have identified a design flaw on their own. They raise it when someone else brings it up and the whole world already knows about it.

Best place to get a sounding are bike forums and asking owners for their views. Especially those who own N bikes and are not too precious about a particular purchase. With the numbers responding you will get a better sample size.

Best is to read up and and do comparison plus forum views.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

What is it that your existing bikes do not do that you want your new bike to do? If you're happy riding either of your existing bikes, then why are you looking to buy a new one?

Thinking carefully about that will give you a specific set of requirements. With that you can look for bikes on the market that match your requirements. If they come under the label "entry level" that's not a problem, unless you are bothered by such labels. Question is: Does it what you want it to do?

I'm not at all sure who the "experts" you are referring to are. But if I was buying a new bike (which I'm not) and someone had specific expertise in a subject that I don't know about - eg disk brakes, or something like that, then sure, yes I'd listen to them. Why would you not?
Because I just fancy it and it will probably my last new buy. :okay:

Top Bottom