Easy to get confused by expert cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
When I got my first roadbike I randomly clicked around on ebay offerings and did my own researched based on manufacturers specs. I do not feel a so called expect would have given me any useful information, but may have caused me to spend twice as much money.
Nobody is going to be an expert on your reasons for riding a bike and the exact roads you ride on.

My old steel MTB would be useless in the TDF but a £50,000 TDF road bike wouldn't last five minutes on my commute.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Nobody is going to be an expert on your reasons for riding a bike and the exact roads you ride on.

My old steel MTB would be useless in the TDF but a £50,000 TDF road bike wouldn't last five minutes on my commute.
I have never heard of a £50000 TdF bike.

Lovacott

Über Member
I have never heard of a £50000 TdF bike.
Sorry.

I meant $500k

1622329270132.png

Punkawallah

Über Member
‘An expert is someone who knows more & more about less & less.’
If their speciality is ‘winning’, they may be right when they say ‘you must spend x’. They are useful for questions on specifics, but not so much on general questions. For that, get as many opinions as you can, and add salt to taste.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Yup. The guy on the towpath does not have to win a Tour, so the effusive praise for the ‘superbike’ by the expert tells him nothing he needs to know - unless he seriously ups his game :-)
Obviously the assumption that ‘all experts are stupid’ would be an error, but our towpath guy is entitled to an opinion, and if it gets him through the day then it would be churlish to deny him it.

Don’t know anything about ‘hack journos’, but have long thought these magazines should come with a ‘salt & shake’ blue packet. At least have reviews of the same product from two different people.

I’d read an article with reviews of a superbike by our towpath guy, and of his hack by the expert :-)

Top Bottom