Easyjet - policy on folding bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Off topic...I was once in a queue behind a lady who was allowed to take a rock in her hand luggage, 'as a souvenir'. Im talking 40cm square bit of slate. If that cant be used as a weapon, Im not sure what can.
Yes, but to what end? Things are only more dangerous in the air than on the ground if they can cause a crash or let you take over the plane. A rock is no more dangerous on a plane than it would be in a shopping mall. Yes, you might hit and even kill someone, but then you would be overpowered by the passengers, restrained and arrested when you touch the ground.

For that matter, they only stop bladed weapons as "security theatre". You couldn't take control of a plane with a stanley knife anymore. On 11/9 they threatened a flight attendants life if they weren't let into the cockpit. Now the passengers and crew would understand that letting them into the cockpit means they will all die, so that is no longer a way to get control of plane.

(yes, and if some looney ever tries to hijack a plane with a big rock, they will ban them. note looney will not succeed in hijack)

They all wanted to argue the point
My only problem was a motorbike helmet. It would not fit in the suitcase measuring cage. They had no idea of the rules and so I said I would wear it and there are no rules to say I cannot. They let me on carrying it.
So when other people argue the point, that's wrong but when you argue the point, that's good?

Lozz360

Veteran
I take my bike tool kit in my hand luggage, including my multitool with blades. I carry my helmet so that obviously makes me a cyclist not a terrorist.

My only problem was a motorbike helmet. It would not fit in the suitcase measuring cage. They had no idea of the rules and so I said I would wear it and there are no rules to say I cannot. They let me on carrying it.
I can understand how you may obviously look like a cyclist but I don't believe anyone can obviously not look like a terrorist.

It is possible to be both: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3434874/Bicycle-suicide-bomb-Quetta-kills-nine.html

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So when other people argue the point, that's wrong but when you argue the point, that's good?
I didn't argue the point. The rules regarding the helmet were unclear to everyone and if they had insisted I left the helmet, I would have done.

The other things I mentioned, scissors,weights, sizes of bag etc were all very clear.

Lozz. You don't have to take everything literally on here.

F70100

Who, me ?
"Just follow the rules and you won't go wrong - it's easy..."

The DFT publish a list of prohibited items, and also the following text on their website:

There are restrictions on what items you can take onto aircraft for reasons of safety, security and taxes. Some items are not allowed in your hand luggage and some are not allowed anywhere on the aircraft. Some items need to have the approval of the airline before you can take them on board.

Individual airports have discretion to confiscate anything they consider dangerous, regardless of whether or not it appears on the list of prohibited articles and passengers who have queries over whether something will be permitted should check with the airport and airline in question before travelling.

If an individual security operative considers anything you have as being dangerous, you will lose it. It's this lottery that causes the most distress.

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

AH...so it was you I was stood behind :O)

With regards to the helmet. I called into the Ryanair office at the airport a few days earlier and of the staff did not know the rules. I have taken my helmet on board three times now without any problems. But you never know what will happen on the 4th.

The best instance I have seen was in Milan. A guy with a 3 piece snooker cue in a box. It was too tall for the luggage measuring cage. He stood for 20 minutes trying to argue that in respect of volume it was much smaller than the cage. I must have missed the area of volume bit in the airline instructions. I felt sorry for him because it would have been no problem at all for him to take it on the plane.

Protective bike bags. Now that is something that nobody understands. You may think you do but you don't.

I hope the OP got the answer he wanted, before we hijacked the thread.

I took a small gamble and opted to add "Hold luggage" which is £45.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I fly every week on all kinds of aiirlines with 2 pairs of nail clippers in my hand baggage. Never been an issue. Greetings from Bologna airport .... I might do my toenails while im waiting to board the flight home ;-)
Do you take 2 pairs as insurance in case one gets confiscated by security?
^_^

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you take 2 pairs as insurance in case one gets confiscated by security?
^_^
Absolutely .... you can't be toe careful these days, they'll nail you for anything. Give 'em a foot and they'll take a mile....

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

Let us know how you get on.

I eventually contacted Easyjet; they weren't sure because it's not a question they had dealt with before (really?) but the official response was that no, a folding bicycle would have to go as a regular bicycle. Which is fair enough; I should think a disassembled non-folding bike is near the same size and weight, but I'm not sure what the deal would be with something very small such an ultra-compact bike or child's bike. Probably a case by case thing.

Top Bottom