Easyjet - policy on folding bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brand X

I really need to get this booked this evening, so I don't have time to wait for an email from Easyjet; does anyone know if folding bikes can go as small sports equipment? There is nothing mentioned about folding bikes anywhere on their website; bicycles are classed as large sports equipment and incur a charge of £70, small sports equipment up to 20kilo is free. I haven't weighed by bike (Ridgeback Envoy) but according to the specs it is about 12 kilos.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment
http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/fees

Hmm. That's odd. Trying to book a holiday through Easyjet it says "£70" but on the help page it's £45.

Last edited:

SWSteve

Guru
I really need to get this booked this evening, so I don't have time to wait for an email from Easyjet; does anyone know if folding bikes can go as small sports equipment? There is nothing mentioned about folding bikes anywhere on their website; bicycles are classed as large sports equipment and incur a charge of £70, small sports equipment up to 20kilo is free. I haven't weighed by bike (Ridgeback Envoy) but according to the specs it is about 12 kilos.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment
http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/fees

Hmm. That's odd. Trying to book a holiday through Easyjet it says "£70" but on the help page it's £45.

Do you have a bag it fits in, and then may be able to be the second piece of hand luggage

vickster

Legendary Member
But make sure it is no bigger than the specified size. I got fined £60 coming back from Amsterdam for having a cabin suitcase which due to its wheels was about an inch too big for the gauge!! I'd had no issues flying from Gatwick 24 hours previously and the flipping plane was half empty

They can be jobsworth b'strds

Be v sure on the rules. Call them or at least email

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

But make sure it is no bigger than the specified size. I got fined £60 coming back from Amsterdam for having a cabin suitcase which due to its wheels was about an inch too big for the gauge!! I'd had no issues flying from Gatwick 24 hours previously and the flipping plane was half empty

Good point. I shall check their size limit. Thanks Vickster and Steve.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can you gain anything by letting the tyres down, and taping/zip tying them flat, where they'd meet the sides of the case?

Cannot help but think that they will class it as a bike full stop.

I have flown several times with 2 different folding bikes on easyjet but can't help with your specific enquiry am afraid as i always declared them as bikes. Bu

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do you have a bag it fits in, and then may be able to be the second piece of hand luggage
I can't see any airline or airport security allowing a folder as hand luggage, given the number of parts that have potential to be used as weapons (the chain for starters, and cranks).
I once had a set of allen keys refused by security at Birmingham, and they are quite innocuous in comparison.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

The amount of times I hear this type of thing. Often when I am stood behind someone trying to get on a plane. Your last line was spot on. Be sure of the rules. Not your rules, their rules. If you follow their rules you will not go wrong.

Like rules about baggage being an inch too long. They are not jobsworth BXstards. They are following their rules. Which they display on their website for us all to follow. If you don't follow the rules and you get caught, it is not their fault, its yours.

With regards to the OPs bike. I would take it that is a bike and pay the full mount. At least that way you cannot go wrong.

I can't see any airline or airport security allowing a folder as hand luggage, given the number of parts that have potential to be used as weapons (the chain for starters, and cranks).
I once had a set of allen keys refused by security at Birmingham, and they are quite innocuous in comparison.
The subject of what security will allow and refuse in hand luggage is an interesting, and potentially amusing subject/possible thread in itself - often makes little sense once you get away from knives and very obvious weapons - i fear my sooty magic wand would be impounded.

vickster

Legendary Member
The amount of times I hear this type of thing. Often when I am stood behind someone trying to get on a plane. Your last line was spot on. Be sure of the rules. Not your rules, their rules. If you follow their rules you will not go wrong.

Like rules about baggage being an inch too long. They are not jobsworth BXstards. They are following their rules. Which they display on their website for us all to follow. If you don't follow the rules and you get caught, it is not their fault, its yours.

With regards to the OPs bike. I would take it that is a bike and pay the full mount. At least that way you cannot go wrong.
Ok explain to me why I had travelled many times on EasyJet previously with that very same suitcase out of a number of different airports and had never had a problem before, the case fits without any issue whatsoever in an overhead locker, taking no more space . What's the problem? The plane was half empty, thus so were the OH lockers.

They were also extremely impolite about it, unnecessary. if that's your picture, I don't recall seeing you behind me in the queue...

Brandane

Legendary Member
The subject of what security will allow and refuse in hand luggage is an interesting, and potentially amusing subject/possible thread in itself - often makes little sense once you get away from knives and very obvious weapons - i fear my sooty magic wand would be impounded.
I'm sure @Fab Foodie has taken a Brompton as hand luggage?
The problem being that it is not always consistent.
If FF got a Brompton on a flight as carry on luggage then he might have got lucky with his choice of queue at security, and got the guy who didn't think about the potential for weaponry in bike components. The security person in the next queue might have seen things differently. If I was taking a bike abroad and it was important that it accompanied me, then I wouldn't like to take the chance.

Top Bottom