Easyjet - policy on folding bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Without getting into this. Measure the case accurately, check it against their website information. If its too big, you have been fortunate on several occasions and caught on one.

I may not have been behind you. But I have been behind the mother letting the child take childrens scissors on board. The businessman with overweight luggage, the woman with nail clippers. They all wanted to argue the point. But there was no point to argue.

The rules are written down and are easy to follow.

classic33

Leg End Member
If we talk about company rules, check BA's policy with regards carrying bikes. Very clear cut.

vickster

Legendary Member
Without getting into this. Measure the case accurately, check it against their website information. If its too big, you have been fortunate on several occasions and caught on one.

I may not have been behind you. But I have been behind the mother letting the child take childrens scissors on board. The businessman with overweight luggage, the woman with nail clippers. They all wanted to argue the point. But there was no point to argue.

This wasn't at security, but the gate and it delayed no one

Nail clippers were impounded as a potential weapon?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This wasn't at security, but the gate and it delayed no one
That is not the point.

The question really is, was the bag bigger than the regulations allow? If it is. There is no ifs and buts.

I fly about a dozen times a year. I use the same bag and it is smaller than all the airlines allow. I check the weights on my boarding information. I pack it myself because I know what I'm not allowed to take. I get on and off planes like buses. It is simple.

But seeing people having problems is a regular thing. You cannot bend or tweak their rules.

SWSteve

Guru
I can't see any airline or airport security allowing a folder as hand luggage, given the number of parts that have potential to be used as weapons (the chain for starters, and cranks).
I once had a set of allen keys refused by security at Birmingham, and they are quite innocuous in comparison.

Yet you can take screwdrivers on a plane, willy nilly. I'm no potential murderer, but I reckon a screwdriver could be used to pretty dangerous ends

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nail clippers were impounded as a potential weapon?

Yes, Ive seen that twice.

The last one I saw was someone with shampoo in a bottle over 100ml. You could see it was almost empty but they could not take it on because it said over 100ml on the bottle. Its not how much is in it, its what it says on the bottle.

I'm not saying the rules are sensible. But they are not my rules.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yet you can take screwdrivers on a plane, willy nilly. I'm no potential murderer, but I reckon a screwdriver could be used to pretty dangerous ends
I take my bike tool kit in my hand luggage, including my multitool with blades. I carry my helmet so that obviously makes me a cyclist not a terrorist.

My only problem was a motorbike helmet. It would not fit in the suitcase measuring cage. They had no idea of the rules and so I said I would wear it and there are no rules to say I cannot. They let me on carrying it.

Yes, Ive seen that twice.
Totally barmy of course - i stress that I am not criticising you steve - thanks for the reply. For in truth it is clear to even the most brain damaged traveller that you could do more damage with your teeth (and who is to know that you haven't had them specially sharpened for the trip?) than with a nail clipper.

I have had a posh rather expensive alessi corkscrew confiscated = the corkscrew bit was totally enclosed ( so enclosed that in typically trendy italian design fashion it quite often failed to release a cork) confiscated. No offer at all for it to be retrieved on a return trip.

I sometimes suspect that some of the confiscated items end up in the pockets of airport staff.

I have also within living memory had a bondage collar, complete with metal restraining fittings, pass through in hand luggage with no problems at all, With that and my bootlaces I have no doubt that even wimpy me could usefully immobilise someone.

I take my bike tool kit in my hand luggage, including my multitool with blades. I carry my helmet so that obviously makes me a cyclist not a terrorist.

My only problem was a motorbike helmet. It would not fit in the suitcase measuring cage. They had no idea of the rules and so I said I would wear it and there are no rules to say I cannot. They let me on carrying it.
yes, wearing stuff is handy for non offensive stuff.
My generously pocketed leather jacket recently bit the dust - now replaced with a nice comfy army combat jacket from a nice chap in pimlico - loads of pockets inside and out - enough for lots of stuff including a three course meal - last trip I had two bananas in it. For good measure I wore a waterproof over it with more pockets. I care not a sod what I look like when travelling as long as I am comfortable.

classic33

Leg End Member

Generally have to declare it, box it and get it put in with the rest of the luggage. You were just lucky the rules were not so clear cut as you think.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My daughter, when she was about 8, had to dump some very blunt kids craft scissors that she'd taken in her pencil case amongst other stuff she'd packed to keep her amused on the flight. All credit to her, she didn't make a fuss.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My daughter, when she was about 8, had to dump some very blunt kids craft scissors that she'd taken in her pencil case amongst other stuff she'd packed to keep her amused on the flight. All credit to her, she didn't make a fuss.
AH...so it was you I was stood behind :O)

With regards to the helmet. I called into the Ryanair office at the airport a few days earlier and of the staff did not know the rules. I have taken my helmet on board three times now without any problems. But you never know what will happen on the 4th.

The best instance I have seen was in Milan. A guy with a 3 piece snooker cue in a box. It was too tall for the luggage measuring cage. He stood for 20 minutes trying to argue that in respect of volume it was much smaller than the cage. I must have missed the area of volume bit in the airline instructions. I felt sorry for him because it would have been no problem at all for him to take it on the plane.

Protective bike bags. Now that is something that nobody understands. You may think you do but you don't.

I hope the OP got the answer he wanted, before we hijacked the thread.

GlenBen

Über Member
Off topic...I was once in a queue behind a lady who was allowed to take a rock in her hand luggage, 'as a souvenir'. Im talking 40cm square bit of slate. If that cant be used as a weapon, Im not sure what can.

Top Bottom