Eating out of date food. Do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I had a victoria sponge cake that I forgot about in a cupboard in an IT classroom and I rediscovered it in September after depositing it there in July. It had dehydrated and become rusk-like in texture, the 'cream' can't have had any dairy products in it because it had become custard cream filling like in texture and the jam had become a little chewy. There was no sign of mould and no stale smells.

I spent the rest of September making pupils retch by retrieving it from the cupboard, sharing its life history with a class then taking a large bite from it. It was a very tasty stale cake and a very entertaining prolonged consumption.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Not food but drink.

A 1983 Côtes du Meanwood single estate elderberry wine..

20150413_193605.jpg
20150413_193917.jpg

A very nice bouquet, hints of blackcurrent, cedar and vanilla. Tanin just makes its presence felt. I'm now craving a large steak to go with it.

crazyjoe101

I use them as a rough guide. A smell and a close inspection of a lump of food usually persuades me to eat it. Most of the time food keeps past the date, some of the time it goes off beforehand.

RWright

Guru
I recently ate some Greek yogurt that had been in the fridge quite a while. It tasted ok...meaning terrible as ever. I didn't
get sick so now I wonder if that stuff ever gets old.

Mrs M

Guru
If it says "use by" and we haven't then it goes out. If it says "best before" and we think it's ok then we will eat it.
Never chance meat or dairy though.
Not worth being poisoned. :thumbsdown:

Hyslop

Veteran
I've just had haggis for breakfast which was 3 days past it's "use by" date, and very tasty it was too, So far, a couple of hours later, there have been no ill effects.

The reason I was eating it is because Mrs S refuses to eat anything that is past it's best by date, and is indeed firmly convinced that doing so will result in a 99% probability of death.

I, on the other hand, am much less fussy and will eat pretty much anything within reason and hate wasting food. I will happily eat anything out of the fridge which is 4 or 5 days past it's "use by" date, and have eaten tinned food without any problems which is months out of date.

What's the oldest thing you have eaten, and where would you draw the line?
NATO(MOD)Tinned Processed Cheese.This would be around 1983,I seem to remember that it was around 25 years old(as it were) at that point.Might have been marked "Consume upon opening-the Soviets are heading your way-you wont live long enough to develop food poisoning-Enjoy! Seem to remember that ot was eatable,not a fine Stilton perhaps but...Im still here:okay:

Top Bottom