Eating out of date food. Do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
And rinsing under a tap works. I had staph probably in my shin, usual cause of skin type infections

And when the infection becomes chronic cellulitis the pain is unbearable and I spent five days in hospital being treated with industrial strength antibiotics delivered intravenously accompanied with anti coagulant injections.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Not quite true :smile:
Staphylococcus_aureus produces a toxin which survives cooking and is quite nasty :eek:
ermmm.....washing chicken can produce unwanted results.....

vickster

Legendary Member
And when the infection becomes chronic cellulitis the pain is unbearable and I spent five days in hospital being treated with industrial strength antibiotics delivered intravenously accompanied with anti coagulant injections.
I was out in two days, but had surgery to evacuate the rather nasty clot on my shin :sad:. 10 days of oral antibiotics and 2 days of IV. Unpleasant to say the least. When you get knocked off your bike, don't land shin first on the frame!

Hyslop

Veteran
I just do the smell and how it looks test,..........still alive !!:dance::hyper:
Qiute right too-we have a sealed pot of Stilton in the fridge(2 yrs old).Everything else is as it should be I hasten to add.However the assumption is this,why,if ever we open it, should the cheese be "off"-given that to some eyes its off to start with! Personally,Im not wildly fond of Stilton,most other cheeses however stand no chance.This is heretical I know,but if ever I were to be reborn as a Frenchman,then cheese would be my consolation!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Eggs and derivatives, after their best before/use by dates? Nooooo! :ph34r:
Eggs are fine ... I eat them ages after just float them to see how old they are. If the do float which I haven't had then chuck.

For meat I use a combination of smell, dates and knowing how they have been stored.
Cooked rice is one of the things I am very careful with. (Ok I know no dates involved)
Cheese, and milk I ignore dates and just use smell, I've used milk that is about 5 to 8 days past it's date and been fine.

I made millionaires shortbread last week and the only tin of condensed milk I could find was right at the back and bearing the date of 2011. Strangely even my most picky child who is very strict about dates and has been known to go through the bin to check up on me, was prepared to eat my baking. Admittedly it was a lot darker in colour than normal. We are still fine.

The last time I was sick was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Hyslop

Veteran
[QUOTE 3642757, member: 76"]When I was in the Army I had a ration pack with a Mars bar that had an eat by date in the mid/late 70s, I got issued it around 1988! It looked a bit white, but it tasted ok.[/QUOTE]
:okay:

Hyslop

Veteran
[QUOTE 3642781, member: 76"]Ha, ration pack memories! That cheese was something else...... 'Cheese Possessed' what were they feeding us :eek:[/QUOTE]
Thats the stuff!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
we had a block of Parmesan cheese, bein' all middle-class and whot-not, with a use by date of a month or two. FFS it's a year (or is it two) old to be even sold as Parmesan. And what about pickled onions with the label "refrigerate after opening" - they're pickled; that's the point of pickling to make things keep a long time. I'd certainly go a year beyond any dates on pickles unless blatantly horrid.

And a Viz-sounding but genuine household hint - save money on expensive Parmesan, and buy Cheddar instead but keep it a long time till it dries up and goes rock hard and is indistinguishable from Parmesan. Only half-joking too!

That said, it does depend on the product. Milk, eggs, youghurt etc - they're either off or OK, so dates are irrelevant. Cheese - well sometimes it does benefit from a trim if a bit too mouldy, but apart from that, good to go .

(red) Meat on the other hand, I'm happy with the whiff test. Should have been hung for a couple of weeks anyway before being chopped up, so no need for undue worry. I'd bin mouldy meat though, but seen others trim. Bacon lasts far longer, as that's the point of bacon after all, and tastes poor if it's gone over, albeit still perfectly safe.

Mouldy bread I'd bin, as I would bread that's not-mouldy but turned into a brick.

Things like humus or jams - I'd be very wary if there's even a hint of mould, as I'm given to understand that kind of mould can exude carcinegous toxins which soak in as it were - so I was informed by a food-science graduate rightly or wrongly. My dad used to scrape the moult off jams though, but still.....

And I don't think anyone's posted this yet:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4usAhEvMKZ4&feature=player_detailpage

Funny, satirical, and rather disturbing

Tin Pot

Guru
I've just had haggis for breakfast which was 3 days past it's "use by" date, and very tasty it was too, So far, a couple of hours later, there have been no ill effects.

The reason I was eating it is because Mrs S refuses to eat anything that is past it's best by date, and is indeed firmly convinced that doing so will result in a 99% probability of death.

I, on the other hand, am much less fussy and will eat pretty much anything within reason and hate wasting food. I will happily eat anything out of the fridge which is 4 or 5 days past it's "use by" date, and have eaten tinned food without any problems which is months out of date.

What's the oldest thing you have eaten, and where would you draw the line?

Yes - I never get sick and it's because I ate food with dirt on it as a kid.

I've eaten pasta with weevils. Extra protein.

D

Deleted member 1258

I rarely look at dates on food, mind you round here food doesn't hang around long enough to become out of date.

Top Bottom