Eaton, Norwich - How do you approach this cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Sutton

I am planning my route to do 10 miles cycle to work in Norwich and I came across this interesting cycle lane... how do you approach it?

http://goo.gl/maps/Gxrxk

The road is 1 way system. If you "turn" the map to the right, follow the road to the traffic light you can see bike lane for cyclists going the right way. But I am going the other way. (i.e. going up the hill)

So, how do I approach this?

Thanks.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Couldn't you just take the A11 Newmarket road? It's a 50mph limit - not a motorway or otherwise limited access road, right?

Wait... You're going opposite the way the bike path goes? The way the little one-way road goes? Just use that little road!

Personally, I wouldn't touch either of those bike paths on the A11 with a 10ft pole. They're contraflow bike paths - they increase the chance of collision at junctions by something like 6x that of riding in the road.

If you're afraid of the main A11 Newmarket Road, just use Eaton Street and the old Newmarket Road (and Cantley Lane if you're going that far). Forget about the bike path - they're all rubbish anyway.

GrasB

Veteran
Go down to Bluebell rd & then up the A11 sliproad, there's a cycle path along that side of the road which can easily be reached. You then follow the cycle lane until you reach the bus lane in which cyclists are allowed.

col.kurtz

Yep, go back under the flyover and up the slip road where you'll find the cycle path, then bus lane, be careful at the Judges Walk junction.

Despite the cycle symbol being painted for contraflow cycling it is not relevant and it is illegal to cycle the wrong way because of the no-entry signs. They don't have the Except Cycles exemption plate nor is the one on the right on the left of the cycle lane so the lane is outside the no entry zone. Which basically leaves it as its illegal to pass the No Entry signs on a bike. So the answer is walk the bike or find another route.

OP
OP
Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton

GrasB & col.kurtz - thanks, forgotten about that! That looks better than the other one.

Red Light - yeah, I was somewhat confused with that. I wonder if whoever did the line-painting painted it the wrong way round?

Time to revise the route...

OP
OP
Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton

Couldn't you just take the A11 Newmarket road? It's a 50mph limit - not a motorway or otherwise limited access road, right?

Wait... You're going opposite the way the bike path goes? The way the little one-way road goes? Just use that little road!

Personally, I wouldn't touch either of those bike paths on the A11 with a 10ft pole. They're contraflow bike paths - they increase the chance of collision at junctions by something like 6x that of riding in the road.

If you're afraid of the main A11 Newmarket Road, just use Eaton Street and the old Newmarket Road (and Cantley Lane if you're going that far). Forget about the bike path - they're all rubbish anyway.

Thanks. I have not rode for more than 15+ years and being deaf myself, I would rather stick to cycle lane first to build up my confidence and get to know the layout before doing it on the roads.

SW19cam

Über Member
GrasB & col.kurtz - thanks, forgotten about that! That looks better than the other one.

Red Light - yeah, I was somewhat confused with that. I wonder if whoever did the line-painting painted it the wrong way round?

Time to revise the route...

Thanks. I have not rode for more than 15+ years and being deaf myself, I would rather stick to cycle lane first to build up my confidence and get to know the layout before doing it on the roads.

I think you are entitled to use it. (There's a no throughfare except cycles sign at the Church Street/ Bluebell Road junction).

However, it's likely to cause conflicts with oncoming cyclists. Also as you point out, it's not an easy path to get on to so I'd suggest looking for a different route.

If I was going to cycle it that way I'd probably turn right in to the pub drive, and use that to get to the cycle lane. However, being a Norwich boy, I know that cars are unlikely to reduce their speed coming off Newmarket Road so the turn is going to be a little nasty at peak times.

OP
OP
Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton

Thanks... will look at the map again.

BTW are you sw19cam on youtube?? Just saw the location field of SW19 and it's the only thing that reminds me. :smile:

SW19cam

Über Member
Thanks... will look at the map again.

BTW are you sw19cam on youtube?? Just saw the location field of SW19 and it's the only thing that reminds me. :smile:

I am indeed. I've moved postcodes twice since my youtube was set up. Can't help thinking I want to get a fourth postcode in the next 12 months...;)

I think you will see the 'except cycles' sign here: http://goo.gl/maps/VYfo

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I dont think id use it with the risk of cyclists bombing down the hill and going the opposite way to the traffic flow. What GrasB said looks much safer.

If for some reason i wanted to use it, id probably stop down the hill when you reach the parked cars, get off and cross the remaining single lane of traffic towards the bus stop.

Tony, its supposed to be a cycle contra flow (although they've forgot the 'Except Cycles' sign below the 'No Entry'. If you are heading towards the city with flow you use the vehicle lane and travel with flow opting or not to use the farcility (cycle lane) when you are passed the No Entry sign. The bigger dilemma for me, if a cyclist is heading the other way and are not dominant and end up on the left of traffic are they supposed to cross across flow to the right and use the contraflow :wacko:

Top Bottom