Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nonowt

Über Member
Beautiful!!

On another note I sat most of today watching some true on the minute auctions and was absolutely amazed how low the bidding was on a large number of absolutely drop dead gorgeous bikes.

I am now registered for notifications on the https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb which you then have to fine tune to what you are looking for, but today at an auction in Bristol they had quite a large number of truly excellent condition bikes for sale with most of them going for prices that I honestly couldn't believe as they were so low!!

I watched too - quite a few of those bikes and frames were simply stunning (and crazily cheap - even with the near 30% sale fee on top). I imagine we'll see a few of them cropping up on Hilary Stone, Gold Age Cycles, pedal pedlar, etc. with a 100% + mark up!

That Hobbs is a beauty too - lovely gold lining. Not often you see a "buy a Hobbs get a free Holdsworth" deal! Holdsworth looks quality too - a mid 70s Mistral?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
quite a few of those bikes and frames were simply stunning (and crazily cheap - even with the near 30% sale fee on top).

I was talking to an elderly chap a few weeks ago, who was a lifelong fan of classic British racing/touring bikes. I'd just bought a spares donor + bits from him for peanuts. He said to me that he thought values for most vintage bikes, apart from true exotica, would likely remain static or even fall in the years to come. His reasoning was that most of the riders who like the old stuff were also getting old themselves, and were gradually dying off. Youngsters, generally speaking, were not at all interested in old vintage steel, especially not the more run of the mill stuff. There would be more bikes on the market chasing fewer potential new owners. Let's be honest, those of us who do like the old stuff are probably in a minority of cyclists. The majority just want a shiny new bike straight from the shop, they aren't interested in tinkering and restoring old bikes.

Alan O

Über Member
I was talking to an elderly chap a few weeks ago, who was a lifelong fan of classic British racing/touring bikes. I'd just bought a spares donor + bits from him for peanuts. He said to me that he thought values for most vintage bikes, apart from true exotica, would likely remain static or even fall in the years to come. His reasoning was that most of the riders who like the old stuff were also getting old themselves, and were gradually dying off. Youngsters, generally speaking, were not at all interested in old vintage steel, especially not the more run of the mill stuff. There would be more bikes on the market chasing fewer potential new owners. Let's be honest, those of us who do like the old stuff are probably in a minority of cyclists. The majority just want a shiny new bike straight from the shop, they aren't interested in tinkering and restoring old bikes.
Sadly true.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

yes i must agree as well , i have sold more newer style bikes recently than older retro ones

nonowt

Über Member
I have noticed the prices for vintage bikes dropping over the last 2 years or so. The big Italian names and the fancier British marques like Ephgrave and Hetchins seem to be holding their price but decent factory build 531 framed Raleigh’s seem much more reasonable now.

I wonder if the trend for people buying a vintage bike just to ride L’Eroica with their mates is tapering off? I’ve also noticed that here on the hip streets of East London vintage road bike seem to have been replaced with modern machines (or in some cases with vintage motorbikes – complete with Easy Rider-ish outfits*).

*the daftest one I’ve witnessed was a guy on a Harley delivering artisan roasted coffee beans. He wearing dirty black denim and a leather jacket with the logo of the coffee company painted on the back of it…

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have noticed the prices for vintage bikes dropping over the last 2 years or so. The big Italian names and the fancier British marques like Ephgrave and Hetchins seem to be holding their price but decent factory build 531 framed Raleigh’s seem much more reasonable now.

I wonder if the trend for people buying a vintage bike just to ride L’Eroica with their mates is tapering off? I’ve also noticed that here on the hip streets of East London vintage road bike seem to have been replaced with modern machines

I reckon there's a number of factors at work, of which demographics is a significant one, but not the only reason.

With the proliferation of lower-budget CF and the cheap end, mass-produced imported aluminium frames, you no longer need to pay a premium for a 531 frame if all you want is a lightweight bike and are not bothered about aesthetics. Budget new bikes can be a lot lighter than budget "gas pipe special" steel bikes ever were. Most modern road bikes both in CF and oversized AL tubing, I regard as hideous looking things and I would never buy one, but clearly a lot of riders are buying such bikes from major retailers, no doubt often with the tax incentive of C2W sweetening the deal.
It's easier to run something new with no mechanical wear and replace it every couple of years than it is to constantly maintain an older used machine which already had wear present when purchased, especially for the mechanical numpty who has to visit their LBS for every problem that occurs and incur labour charges. It's a bit like running a brand new car and changing it every couple of years.

With things like L'Eroica, maybe people do it once and then get rid of their classic bike afterwards? Or they buy one classic bike and stop at that, rather than owning multiples?

There's a generational divide. If I consider the bikes typically taken to my local watering hole, most of them are cheap-ish, modern bikes, often sloping top tube hybrids, and flashy suspension MTB clunkers at the BSO end. There's a Galaxy and two Bromptons, all the owners of which are in their 50's or older. The age profile of the modern owners is generally much younger than the classic riders. The youngsters who have only ever ridden the junk BSO's with 2" knobbly tyres have no appreciation whatsoever what a decent Reynolds frame is like to ride, and for them clanking along the road on a heavy, energy-sapping full-sus BSO is as good as cycling is ever going to get!

Im old and retro and some say cheap as well ....its a cruel world ^_^

Nay lad, you have got taste!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Possibly BLB - it looks more like BAI / ABI. Nice frame though. I didn't think Brick Lane Bikes embossed their logo into the frame.

Had a look on the blb website and i cant see any mention of it either , not aware of anybody who embosses on frames in that position

Seems a lot of money just for a frame though, would end up being an expensive project when built up.

This one looks much better value to me:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falcon-O...885023?hash=item25ee110ddf:g:4EYAAOSw0g1aiFaM

been looking at the Falcon myself but just doesn't do enough for me

Top Bottom