Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm convinced it's the time of year together with caution about spending. As parts it'd be worth far more. I was tempted but I don't like stripping usable bikes.
Same here. I've seen a few going locally at prices I'm sure I could make a worthwhile profit on by stripping and selling components. But the bikes I know enough to be confident of are nice bikes I can't bring myself to destroy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm convinced it's the time of year together with caution about spending..

I'm surprised no-one has blamed Brexit yet for low secondhand prices. It seems to be a convenient excuse to trot out about anything else, such as poor Company financial results!.
My view is that people have generally been living way beyond their means on consumer debt, such as credit cards and loans, for years now and things are getting to the point where it is becoming unsustainable and wages just aren't keeping up with outgoings. I notice that when drinking in my local, it always gets progressively quieter as the month progresses and people get more skint. Then, after payday the place is packed on the first Friday and Saturday night and the cycle repeats.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm convinced it's the time of year together with caution about spending. As parts it'd be worth far more. I was tempted but I don't like stripping usable bikes.

Same here , no idea why prices are so low .
Lets hope they bounce back soon

That went for only £26 in the end, an absolute bargain. What's going on with old steel prices? How low can they go?
I've just seen a useable early 90's Pioneer go for a tenner. Only a basic hi-tensile 18-23 6-speed version, but perfectly adequate as a utility runabout all the same.

Cheap or what

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Same here. I've seen a few going locally at prices I'm sure I could make a worthwhile profit on by stripping and selling components. But the bikes I know enough to be confident of are nice bikes I can't bring myself to destroy.

I don't like the idea of stripping perfectly viable nice stuff for spares or profit either. When I'm on the lookout for parts, unwanted bikes are my first port of call, followed by cheapo import donors or incomplete/job lot type offerings. I would never scrap a nice vintage steel machine just because it might be worth more in bits than complete, although I see nothing wrong with making one good machine out of two not so good ones then using the leftovers as spares or building a pub hack from the worst condition kit of parts. For me, the name of the game is to keep the older stuff going, and re-use as much as possible whether it goes into a nice one or a beater.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nice, but there's plenty of good looking 531 steel frames out there. I've always thought that buying a used frame as the basis of a build was a guaranteed way of making it far more expensive than you expect. I'd rather have a complete project and maybe replace some bits rather than start with nothing and have to source everything needed piecemeal.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
That Barron is a nice colour and a tidy bike but its waaaay too big for me!

Alan O

Über Member
Nice, but there's plenty of good looking 531 steel frames out there. I've always thought that buying a used frame as the basis of a build was a guaranteed way of making it far more expensive than you expect. I'd rather have a complete project and maybe replace some bits rather than start with nothing and have to source everything needed piecemeal.
Yes, starting from a frame can be significantly more expensive, but if you're after something specific you often have to just bite the bullet and pay for it. As an example, a couple of years ago I decided I wanted a classic 531ST tourer - Raleigh Randonneur/Royal, Dawes Galaxy, FW Evans... something of that class. I also wanted some specifics in components. I found a Raleigh Royal frame locally after only a couple of months, and I bought it and built it - and I love it now, but it cost around £250 (including new wheels). Had I held off and waited for a full bike of suitable style to become available somewhere where I could get to it... I'd still be waiting (and yes, I'm still envious of whoever got that Randonneur for £46 :rolleyes:).

Top Bottom