Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hmm, not sure that Colnago ever made a 531 framed bike and no panto? Looks more like a Raleigh to me!
My first thought was that it is not what it claims to be.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are more "Colnagos" out there than Colnagos!

(also see Kona Explosif MTBs - probably more around now than were ever made, because a gaspipe Hahanna or Fire Mountain frameset looks almost identical when restickered).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I’m not convinced with older framesets built up with ultra modern groupsets and I don’t think the market is either as they seem difficult to sell.

My perfect bike would be a 1980’s 753 frame built up with an older square taper Super Record EPS 10 Speed groupset with modern Brifters, a bit like the new Ti rep but more authentic.
I can see where you're coming from and as a rule I'm similar with keeping old / collectable stuff original; which is why really I'm looking for something a bit tatty that's already lost its originality / collectable value. I certainly wouldn't corrupt anything genuinely rare or as nice as the Corsa in my previous link with modern groupset; although if buying a complete bike I'd keep all the components removed and look to keep mods reversible (unless it was that tatty it warranted a refinish).. hence my search for frames that will take recessed brake nuts to avoid having to drill the frame. I'm also aware that the dropouts will need a bit of persuasion to fit a modern 130mm hub, however don't see this as a major issue since on later frames it amounts to all of 4mm.

I hear what you're saying with the campag groupset; certainly a bit more sympathetic than a complete modern groupset. That said modern campag stuff seems to retain a much more classic aesthetic than the Jap components and I'm guessing there are fewer problems with shifter compatability / gear index spacing on the Italian stuff?

In my head I think a modern groupset could look really good on the right frame and have seen a few nice examples, although it's no surprise that such stuff doesn't sell well as you've narrowed your target market enormously - shutting out the originality-freaks who might otherwise have apprecaited the frame as well as the modern afficiandos who'd scoff at steel in favour of CFRP...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having posted a suspect Colnago can I redeem myself with a 753-framed Pug having Campag componentry, £190 in Leeds: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-...rus-58cm-vintage-Campagnolo-1989/373226521045

s-l1600.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Shame about the “shell suit” paint job. Worth buying and repainting though.

Top Bottom