Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,
For sale in Yorkshire, not travelled far lol. Bit of a bargain if it goes for that!!
Possibly, possibly not? :smile:

After a recent failure I have become a little bit more risk averse with older steel (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/broken-steel-i-guess-i-was-lucky.273776/) and then I see this, but sadly the listing doesn't sit comfortably with me as the seller says;

Condition is "Used" however in "As New Condition" been in long term storage since build
753 Reynolds Tubing in Mica Pearlescent White & Blue
753 Reynolds Chrome Front Forks - See photo's front forks show some surface corrosion/pitting
Dawes Rear Stays

Dawes rear stays and a photo that shows Dawes or possibly something else on the seat stay cap, did Dawes ever make a 753 frame, I thought not?

Why not refurb the forks at the same time or are they from another frame and included to make a full bike? The wheels and seat pin would seem to support this idea as do the Raleigh Branded handlebars

It could easily be a restored 753 frame without restored forks, except for the Dawes issue or sadly a restored 531/653 frame where someone has taken liberties with the sticker. :-(

If you look closely at the seat stay in the rear brake picture there two areas where either there is "a brush hair in the paint" or possibly something to be concerned about

Chroming 753 was always officially frowned upon but Peugeot did it a lot, on the other hand they were a big Reynolds customer and may have been supplied with slightly thicker forks to allow for preparing for chroming.

EDIT
====
Went for £158 and a single bid.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
That Fondriest Columbus SLX really does look good and tbh for what it is does not seem to expensive, might not be much profit in buying to resell but can not see it losing any value?
Not looking for another bike but know if it was close to me i would be faced with the problem of where to keep it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That Fondriest Columbus SLX really does look good and tbh for what it is does not seem to expensive, might not be much profit in buying to resell but can not see it losing any value?
Not looking for another bike but know if it was close to me i would be faced with the problem of where to keep it.

if it was more local myself i would be going to go and have a look for sure but thankfully it's too far away

I would tend to agree with @davidphilips , very nice frame (if only the lugs were chromed) but the components are relatively budget and so 395 is probably all of the money.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Those are a very odd pair of Pioneers, to put it mildly! :eek:

Frame variant, paint scheme, brake arrangements. None of the features look right when all found together on the same bike. Only the earliest ones had caliper brakes, but they also had Sakae 2 piece stems, like a Gemini or Raleigh MTB of the period. The early Pioneers were also multi-coloured, these are single colour. Lugged Jaguar variants should also be made of 501, but no Reynolds stickers visible on these and they have the flat plate brake brdge normally found on 18-23 plain gauge frames.
Either these are some sort of parts bin specials built using leftover stocks of early forks and caliper brakes, or some fakery has been going on somewhere along the line.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A rod-braked Rudge in Birmingham with a 99p starting bid.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26515440...g:t4IAAOSwsFpgmBQX&LH_ItemCondition=3000|7000

s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom