Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Poacher that's a very generous offer from you .

And I would agree the calipers deffo need the pads setting up so they touch the rims .

The fact that it's running on tubs made me think it might be something half decent but looks to have quite a bit of tyre clearance so nothing too racy .

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I noticed this yesterday, but I've been too busy to post. Since I'll be in the adjacent auction room 2 tomorrow, checking on some 18th & 19th century glassware, it's no hardship to pop next door and take a few notes of dimensions, components etc. and check for any obvious crash damage or misalignment. As a "vintage gentlaman" (sic) myself (Arthur Johnson employs a few fools alongside the experts; lot 290 was described as prints of pigeons yesterday, obviously someone has had a word), if I place a bid for this I won't go higher than the top estimate of £30. I'd like someone to bag a bargain, but not to short-change the vendor. If it's as good as it looks, it deserves higher.
No need to pay 31% "tax". Go direct to the auctioneer's site and pay just 25% for a commission bid, or use their own online bidding option and pay 28.3% commission - live bidding
Arthur Johnson's website has better quality, zoomable pics, albeit not enough of them, and not of the relevant bits, but from what I can make out, the rear derailleur looks like a Suntour Superbe, i.e. probably worth more than the top estimate by itself, the tyres are tubulars - note the spare tub strapped to the seat post, stem is SR, brakes are Alesa single pivot, possibly not aligned with the rims! (maybe higher quality brakes were replaced with these for the sale?). The red white and green decals suggest Italian origin, in which case the BB may be "exotic".
https://www.arthurjohnson.co.uk/cat...-saturday-auctions-3rd-feburary-2024-lot-263/
If anyone here makes a successful bid and would like me to collect and store it for them for later collection, PM me and pay the auction house and let them know to expect me, as soon as possible so I can collect on Saturday or Monday - any later and storage charges kick in.

Some more details; it appears to be an Iceni - the logo is difficult to make out, and I probably allowed the camera to focus on the trunk behind, which doesn't help. Frame size, centre to top of seat tube is 59cm. It's in generally good condition, but those brakes could never in a month of Sundays hit the rims! Brake levers are decent enough Exage. Wheels run true, couldn't identify the rims but they're OKish sprints. Front hub unidentified, rear hub seems to be (Suntour?) Superbe, with an oiling point and a close ratio 6-speed block, but OLN is 130mm - make of that what you will. Chainset is 170mm SR, threads appear OK. Front mech is a Campagnolo, rear mech is Suntour Cyclone, not as desirable as Superbe but a very good mech nonetheless. I didn't try using the shifters (Triplex). Seat pin is 26.0mm according to my calipers, which doesn't indicate to me top quality tubing. Headset is Soffatti, not a name with which I'm familiar, in fact I've never heard of it, but it seems to work OK. Seat pin isn't seized and moves OK, didn't want to force the stem, but I'd guess it's also free.
All in all, it would probably be good value at the top estimate of £30, and probably quite a bit more, especially if stripped of components, but I won't be making a bid.
P1010195.JPG

P1010197.JPG

P1010200.JPG

P1010203.JPG

P1010204.JPG

P1010205.JPG

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some more details; it appears to be an Iceni - the logo is difficult to make out, and I probably allowed the camera to focus on the trunk behind, which doesn't help. Frame size, centre to top of seat tube is 59cm. It's in generally good condition, but those brakes could never in a month of Sundays hit the rims! Brake levers are decent enough Exage. Wheels run true, couldn't identify the rims but they're OKish sprints. Front hub unidentified, rear hub seems to be (Suntour?) Superbe, with an oiling point and a close ratio 6-speed block, but OLN is 130mm - make of that what you will. Chainset is 170mm SR, threads appear OK. Front mech is a Campagnolo, rear mech is Suntour Cyclone, not as desirable as Superbe but a very good mech nonetheless. I didn't try using the shifters (Triplex). Seat pin is 26.0mm according to my calipers, which doesn't indicate to me top quality tubing. Headset is Soffatti, not a name with which I'm familiar, in fact I've never heard of it, but it seems to work OK. Seat pin isn't seized and moves OK, didn't want to force the stem, but I'd guess it's also free.
All in all, it would probably be good value at the top estimate of £30, and probably quite a bit more, especially if stripped of components, but I won't be making a bid.
View attachment 720544

View attachment 720545

View attachment 720546

View attachment 720547

View attachment 720548

View attachment 720549

Great detective work! I suspect the back end's been tweaked given the spacing.. evidently needs some work and could be a good basis for a resto-mod if it remains peanuts :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 720544

View attachment 720545

View attachment 720546

View attachment 720547

View attachment 720548

View attachment 720549

Mmm thanks @Poacher it has some pedigree then and someone got a bargain

Jameshow

Veteran
Later-spec Raleigh Royal; not dirt-cheap but looks like a nice example. Probably within a three mile radius of my place of work - where I've currently been left unsupervised. Likely only the smaller-than-ideal frame size preventing me from caving in..

View attachment 720933

Fair price I'd say?

Top Bottom