ebay down turn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Three people I know have previously had their PayPal account hacked, and it took ages for them to get reimbursed.
So consequently I have never used it. My wife does occasionally though.

Venod

Eh up
I have always found eBay a bit hit and miss I have just sold a couple of things, I think the fees put people off a bit, there are other ways to sell stuff on line (especially bicycle related) that avoids the fees but eBay has a larger user base.

There was a bloke wanting £200 + postage or offers for a used Sturmy Archer S2C wheel with open pro rim, the rim had a long scratch on it I offered him £75 including delivery, he made a counter offer of £100 plus delivery.

I pointed out to him I could build a new one for that (not with an open pro rim) so declined his offer, he didn't sell it.

You have to be realistic when selling, if he was willing to accept £100 why put it on for £200.

gbb

Legendary Member
I wondered a while ago whether Facebook and the like has had an impact, there are in my locality FB sellers sites for cars, motorbikes, cycles, general stuff etc etc. No fees, quick easy and free.

dim

I don't see what the fuss is about with the fees? I sell loads on ebay, and there is no listing fee .... you end up paying 10% of the selling price

you get a higher price for your goods on ebay than on gumtree (which is also owned by ebay), or facebook or carboot sale etc

if you have decent stuff to sell, and advertise and price it right, there is no better place to sell than ebay

and those who refuse to buy on ebay because of paypal, you can pay using your debit or credit card

vickster

Legendary Member
Through PayPal however. Most of the time there is no benefit. I like shop click & collect or free returns personally. I probably buy on eBay once or twice a year and sell less often

dim

Through PayPal however

I would never buy anything off ebay without using paypal (unless I collect and pay cash on collection) .... Paypal is my guarantee that I won't get scammed

If I sell, I have no problems accepting paypal as if I don't, I cannot sell on ebay .... I've always advertised my stuff correctly and have never had a problem

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been scammed when I paid PayPal hence I dont like it as the b'strds did actually nothing to recover my funds. Direct credit card usage only for me online. Thus as PayPal is required for delivered purchases on eBay, I don't use eBay unless it's a much better deal

I'm sure you are an honest seller. Not all are

You can also get scammed by buyers, they claim the item never arrived. PayPal refunds them. Seller no item and no payment

Oxo

Guru
I have never bought or sold anything on eBay or Gumtree. Never been on Facebook or Twitter. Must be a sign on my times.

Jody

Stubborn git
I used to buy from eBay, but now I find that Amazon is far better value, and returning items is easier. Amazon are much more professional than eBay as well.

This is what I have found recently and Amazon seems to get more involved if there are problems. I still use eBay for the convenience but not as much as I did.

postman

Legendary Member
In my case it's just down to who is cheaper.This week a book from Amazon and a pannier bag from e bay.Simple costings,the cheapest gets the order.

Reactions: gbb

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you get ripped off as a buyer, they side with the seller ime
They've also a bad habit of freezing balances for bull shoot ID checks just when you sell more things through them than usual. Get your money out of them as soon as you can whenever you can. I wouldn't use them but some markets have no other payment method to the UK except bank transfers and they're even worse.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
My problem with the bay of thieves is the % of final sale price to ebay coupled with the % to PayPal & that they are one & the same AFAIAA.

Also the high number of Rodneys on there that will claim your item never reached them/arrived broken/etc.

Avoid it like the plague these days.

Top Bottom