Ebay madness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gratts

what if it wasn't lost, it was delivered, but the buyer then decided they didn't feel like paying for it after all

Well that means you've posted it to them before they've paid?
In which case you deserve to be scammed to high heaven..;)

cygnet

Or it could mean that they paid (typ. via paypal) then complained that they hadn't received it, and got their money back (from paypal) who then remove it from the sellers account.

Does e-bay/paypal refund its own charges to the seller if something like this happens?

barq

cygnet said:
Does e-bay/paypal refund its own charges to the seller if something like this happens?

Not as far as I know. From ebay's point of view you haven't performed as a seller. :sad:

Unfortunately the problem Ben (or anyone in that position) has is that proof of posting isn't proof of delivery. For valuable goods the only option is tracked and signed for delivery either through Royal Mail or one of the couriers. With cheaper items I accept the occasional "loss". Bottom line is that PayPal are only interested in an online tracking number. People have been stung even where an item has been collected in person and the buyer has signed a receipt note - PP aren't interested.

Compensation from RM may require the buyer to confirm they haven't received the goods. So a dishonest buyer may not cooperate with this stage. You may be able to jolt the buyer into action by taking them to the small claims court or by involving the police. But it will still come back to the problem that you can't prove receipt (only dispatch). If you haven't already done it have a look in the ebay community forums. They are some very wise folk there (even if their advice is occasionally a bit sharp).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Rhythm Thief said:
That would take the fun out of it for me. I never get involved in bidding frenzies, my technique is to decide what I want to pay for something, then bid that in the last ten or fifteen seconds of the auction. Just occasionally, it goes a bit wrong.:sad:

I'm not always near a computer when some auctions finish. Bid sniping comes into its own on such occasions.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Well...its sitting at £62 with four hours to go :ohmy: Its insanity i tell ya.

I still just dont understand it, surely you can buy a new one for that money. All bidders are from Japan or the States...perhaps thats the reason. I have no problem shipping abroad...thankfully.

When its over, if it goes overseas (makes it sound like a national treasure :boxing:), i'll tell you how much i paid for it :sad:

porteous

Veteran
E-bay bonkers saddle prices

I think new B17s are about £48. I got an almost new black one last year for £35 and it was close enough to pick up in half an hour, but I wouldn't want to pay more.

Rhythm Thief said:
That would take the fun out of it for me. I never get involved in bidding frenzies, my technique is to decide what I want to pay for something, then bid that in the last ten or fifteen seconds of the auction. Just occasionally, it goes a bit wrong.;)

the cool kids all do it in the last 5 seconds :sad:

Saddle bum

Über Member
Last week, Campag Record rear gear went on Ebay for on £5 less than they can be bought in Croydon - also no guarantee.

"There's one born every minute".

bonj2

gratts said:
In which case you deserve to be scammed to high heaven..;)

no, they paid, I posted it, they left positive feedback, but then two months later they claimed to the credit card company it was an unauthorised transaction, they filed a chargeback against paypal, paypal in turn took the money back off me. Weren't interested in the fact that positive feedback had been received. :sad:

bonj2

barq said:
Not as far as I know. From ebay's point of view you haven't performed as a seller. :sad:

Unfortunately the problem Ben (or anyone in that position) has is that proof of posting isn't proof of delivery. For valuable goods the only option is tracked and signed for delivery either through Royal Mail or one of the couriers. With cheaper items I accept the occasional "loss".Bottom line is that PayPal are only interested in an online tracking number. People have been stung even where an item has been collected in person and the buyer has signed a receipt note - PP aren't interested.

Compensation from RM may require the buyer to confirm they haven't received the goods. So a dishonest buyer may not cooperate with this stage. You may be able to jolt the buyer into action by taking them to the small claims court or by involving the police. But it will still come back to the problem that you can't prove receipt (only dispatch). If you haven't already done it have a look in the ebay community forums. They are some very wise folk there (even if their advice is occasionally a bit sharp).
I doubt they'd even be interested in that barq. I've got proof that it was received, based on the fact that positive feedback was left for me, saying "good item, thanks". all paypal are interested in is the fact that the money has been taken off them by the credit card company, and they mustn't lose out, so therefore I obviously have to lose out.

bonj2

barq said:
you can't prove receipt (only dispatch).

the bottom line is that you can, and I have, yet it doesn't seem to matter. I've filed a case against paypal on moneyclaimonline.gov.uk based on the fact they didn't demonstrate satisfactorily to the buyer's credit card company the fact that i fulfilled my side of the bargain.

Top Bottom