EBAY near miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You know that time when you bid on something, only to realise you don't want it, don't need it or you made a mistake.
I bid on some 2nd hand Road Shoes that had the SPD 2 hole system which I don't use. I didn't read the ad properly.
I spent the whole week being the high bidder but was saved by a final 11th hour bid of £22.00 or thereabouts.
Phew.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It is so easy to get carried away and to not read the descriptions properly.

Its also so easy to get Into a bidding war with someone especially when you are new to Ebay, then you make stupidly high bids on things that cost a pittance anywhere else. Thankfully after making a costly mistake or two you soon learn to put your maximum bid down then walk away until its all over. :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think second hand shoes unless unused would make me feel rather yukky anyway unless you simply don't have the money it may be something you're willing to accept.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I did a similar thing once. I bid on something that I later decided wasn't really what I wanted. I was also saved by a last second bid - but the winner never paid, so the seller offered it to me as a 'second chance' buy. I must admit I told a porkie to get out of the situation... and said that the moment I got outbid I had bought the item somewhere else! :blush:

Jody

Stubborn git
Could be worse. Parents of a colleague of mine drunkenly clicked buy it now on a Winnebago for £50,000. It wasn't until the seller chased them up that he realised what he had done. All sorted amicably in the end.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Its also so easy to get Into a bidding war with someone especially when you are new to Ebay, then you make stupidly high bids on things that cost a pittance anywhere else. Thankfully after making a costly mistake or two you soon learn to put your maximum bid down then walk away until its all over. :okay:

Fortunately, I'm too "thrifty" to get into bidding wars even after having consumed a few beers. However, I did have a near miss with a very cheap item that was quite a long drive to collect. I bid on something finishing when I was due to go on a training course at work, intending to pick it up whilst in the area anyway at no time or fuel cost to me. However the course got cancelled at the last minute, potentially leaving me with a 3 hour drive in my own motor to pick up. The day was saved when someone sniped me in the last minute of the auction. The amount of cash involved was peanuts but the fuel would have cost more than the item itself, plus at least six hours of my time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

They can't stop you retracting your bid for any reason ebay is not an auction site in the UK it legally cannot be

Top Bottom